Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

New Contributor
My Device: style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

no picture thumbnails

Every picture I take or download to my phone after 11/4/12 will not show a thumbnail. All pictures before that I can see the thumbnail of the picture. When I click on the icon thumbnail for the recent pictures it does then show me the picture and if I connect to my computer and upload them they go on to my computer just fine.  So the pictures are there and fine there just isn't a thumbnail view of them. What happened around the beginning of Nov and is there a fix or what is wrong.  I have taken my phone to my Sprint repair center and they didn't know what the problem was.  They actually had me order a replacement phone which then had the same issues. I have talked to the blackberry support at Sprint and they said it was a problem with the latest update and that BB was working on coming out with another update/fix in mid Jan.

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: no picture thumbnails

Hello sunflower24

Welcome to the forums. 

In this case we can try to reload the software on the BlackBerry® smartphone to make sure it is running the latest version and there are no issues with the OS.

Here is how to backup your BlackBerry smartphone http://bbry.lv/oPVWXc

Once you have backed up your BlackBerry smartphone please follow the link below to complete a clean reload of the BlackBerry smartphone software.

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03621

Once completed test it and proceed with a selective restore, here is how to restore http://bbry.lv/qgQxLo

Hope this helps. Have a good day. 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have this happen a bit on mine as I take lots of pics

there are thumb nail indexes that get corrupt over time.

Connect to PC with USB cable and choose MASS STORAGE MODE

look for hidden folder (E is mine but yours may be different)

E:\BlackBerry\system\media

Then delete the files named (might be a lil different depending on model)

thumbs 129x129.dat

thumbs 512x384.dat

thumbs 800x800.dat

Once done remove USB cable and indexes will be rebuilt.

Some older OS version use BBthumbs.dat files in different locations.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thanks for helping. Unfortunately I can say with probably 100% certainty that this won't fix it.  I've done this procedure so many times over the years for different issues that I can probably do it in my sleep.  It is actually one of my favorite things about Blackberry, being able to back up and restore without losing anything. I have already done this myself for this particular issue before I took it in to Sprint.  Then they also did it before they recommended that I get a replacement phone and then of course they made sure everything was up to date on the replacement phone before they gave it to me. After all that it still had the same issues as with the original phone. I also have changed out my SD card just to make sure it wasn't that. I did that with the old phone. So its not the phone and its not the SD card but I don't know what it is.  I have found (by just wandering around my phone) that if I go in to the folders/files on my phone, Blackberry: system: media: and then both camera and picture folders that by just opening them and letting the picture thumbnails load after I exit out of there they will then show up when I go to those folders on my phone home page. That still doesn't solve my problem of any new pictures taken. They still won't come up with a thumbnail view. I just don't know why all of the sudden it's doing this. I've never had a problem before November. Is there some kind of setting as to how much space is avail for pictures or the camera or the size the camera is taking the pictures in that could affect it?

Thanks 

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for helping. I have read over your suggestion numerous times and today finally hooked up to do it but I have to say I'm a little scared because I don't want to mess anything up.  I haven't done it yet because I wanted to let you know what I have on mine. It is ironic though that you told me to look in those folders becuase I actually kind of did that only straight on my phone instead of through the computer and one thing I have found (by just wandering around my phone) was that if I go into the folders/files on my phone, Blackberry: system: media: and then both camera and picture folders that by just opening them and letting the picture thumbnails load after I exit out of there they will then show up when I go to those folders on my phone home page. That still doesn't solve my problem of any new pictures taken. They still won't come up with a thumbnail view. I just don't know why all of the sudden it's doing this. I've never had a problem before November. Is there some kind of setting as to how much space is avail for pictures or the camera or the size the camera is taking the pictures in that could affect it?

Now here is where I attempt what you told me to do. Here are some of the files that I found on my phone.  So when I hook up to my computer mine is F drive. When I click on it and open it it shows all the folders and then some other files. I wanted to ask you about a few of these first before I open any of the folders. One is BBthumbs.dat (DAT file type 1 kb) and another is thumbs (it doesn't have an ext and the type says data base file 12 kb).  Then there are 4 folders each named NDKDUMP_and then a number goes here. Any of those things out of the ordinary? I would hope that if they were the Sprint people would've caught that but sometimes I'm not so sure. Ok so now I start to go where you told me to go. I open the Blackberry folder and first I open both the camera and the pictures folders.  All the pictures are there and visable however in the pictures folder there are 2 non picture files, BBthumbs.dat and ATT00020. I back out of there and now open the system folder then the media folder.  Here's what's in mine:  thumbs86x86.dat (9388 kb)   thumbs86x86.key (5 kb)   thumbs360x400.dat  (30,342 kb)   thumbs360x400.key  (5 kb).  Sorry for so much information.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

Contributor
My Device: passport
My Carrier: rogers

Just rename the folders. Add a single character to the end of it. wait a few minutes and rename them back. It will work fine. You can do this in the phone itself or removing the memory card and doing it on a computer. Once done put it back into the phone. Give it a few minutes. Once it's done. Put it back into the computer and correct the name as it was before. FYI if doing it through the computer you will see two 'camera' and 'pictures' folders. The phone needs the folders named 'camera' and 'pictures' so you'll have to delete the empty ones.

Clear as mud