Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: 3015888624

"Delete Prior" hell -- is there prevention?

For the second time, I hit "Delete Prior" by mistake, wiping two weeks of emails off my BB.  Why this command is even in the menu escapes me, since anyone who wants to delete ALL of their email can easily do so by scrolling down the inbox while pressing a shift key.  I do have the emails on other servers (not Blackberry Exchange), so they aren't lost, but I can't carry them with me either.

Assorted easy tricks, like marking recent messages as "Unread" on their incoming servers, hasn't worked, and I don't want to take the better part of a day opening and forwarding them.

As there's no remedy for the problem, here's the real question--is there any way either to get that command off the menu (ideal) or rename it so it begins with a "Z" or something that I won't hit when using the "D" shortcut to find "Delete" on the menu?  Those who want this command for some reason (note to RIM:  You can't make this mistake on an iPhone) can keep it, and most of us for whom it's one slip of the trackball from disaster won't have to worry.

Thanks,

Tim Brennan

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: "Delete Prior" hell -- is there prevention?

Keep in mind that BlackBerry devices are the preferred phones of business professionals worldwide, many of whom receive hundreds of emails each day.  The ability to delete all emails from a certain point back remains a desirable function.

I'm sorry you've had issues with this feature but it was put in place for a reason and is appreciated by many.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

I doubt it's that desirable a feature; otherwise it'd be on iPhones, Gmail, and other systems. But if it's that important, either allow users to delete "Delete Prior" from the menu, or include a generic "Undo" function.

Tim Brennan
Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

brennanumbc wrote:
I doubt it's that desirable a feature; otherwise it'd be on iPhones, Gmail, and other systems.
Tim Brennan

Just like BBM and compression technology and BlackBerry Music and many other features unique to BlackBerry?  Hey, people don't buy BlackBerry devices because they look pretty.

That being said, your suggestion has merit.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

A tip for anyonechecking this out.  I accidentally did it again. Before all of my messages could be deleted, I pulled out the battery and shut the Blackberry down.  After I reinserted the battery and went throught the rigamarole, all of my message were still there.  So, if you're quick--and, like me, have probably hundreds of emails on the Blackberry that I don't want to lose--you can save them with some fast action.

I hope Blackberry 10 either deleted this feature or gives the user the power to delete it.  Otherwise, it deserves the unfortunate fate.  Actually, I say that as someone who thinks the old Blackberrys have a certain elegance of doing one thing--communicating--very well.  I wish they were a little faster at downloading web pages from news sites, but other than that, I kind of like them and am not looking forward to a universe of gargantuan touchscreen devices that are a pain to put in one's pocket and write more than two sentences.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

"Confirm Delete" is on by default. Did you turn it off?

You can prevent this by turning Confirm Delete back on...

Press the menu key > Options > Message Display and Actions. Scroll down to "Confirm Delete" and make sure it is checked.

Shane.

Z10 STL100-3 (version 10.3.1.2708)
LTE Playbook (version 2.1.0.1917)
New Contributor

Yes, confirm delete is on. The same place lights up as "Delete from mailbox and hanheld" for a normal delete, so I don't always catch it.

Inability to disable this remains a ridiculous feature.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just so I understand correctly...

After (accidentally) selecting Delete Prior, you confirm it by clicking "Delete"?

The inbox shows messages and date headings.

• If you highlight a single message, the "Delete" option will appear in the menu
  • If you highlight a date header, the "Delete Prior" option will appear in the menu

Since "Delete Prior" only appears when you highlight a date header, I would imagine this problem wouldn't occur very often.

In addition to being prompted to confirm that you want to delete local messages, you can be prompted before messages are deleted on the server...

Press the menu key > Options > Email Reconciliation. Change "Delete On" from "Mailbox & Handheld" to "Prompt".

Shane.

New Contributor

Everything has been on "Prompt" as you recommend. It doesn't happen often. When it does, it's because I want to delete the top message, my finger slips on the trackball, and I don't see the mistake until I've clicked the blue prompt button from habit.

That it's rare makes it no less annoying when it happens. If this were a desirable feature, not only would other smartphones have it, but Outlook, Gmail, and other full PC programs would offer it. My theory is that this is a holdover from the days when BB memory was measured in tens of megabytes, not gigabytes.

Still, if somebody thinks this is a good feature, at least make it toggle-able. It may be moot; if BB10 doesn't have it, it's plagues only those of us with old BBs.
Trusted Contributor

Both the BlackBerry Q10 and the Z10 have this feature.

Shane.