Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Device matrix?

Is there a device matrix somewhere that shows what is the minimal set of simulators you would need to test on to support a theme on each BBOS version?  Something that maps device models to OS, screen resolution, and input interfaces (touch vs. non touch etc).

Contributor
tutibreaker
My Device: Curve 9380

Re: Device matrix?

each device has his own simulator, there is not a master simutor ( as i know ) you need all the respective simulator for each device
Th tecnology is upon us !!
Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

tutibreaker wrote:
each device has his own simulator, there is not a master simutor ( as i know ) you need all the respective simulator for each device

Yes, I understand.  Let me re-phrase my question.  If I want to support, say "all BBOS6 Curve devices" with my theme, the number of device configurations that I would need to test the theme on is probably less than the total number of such device models, because only some of device specs (e.g. screen resolution, display rotation support, etc) matter to a theme.  So I truly doubt the theme would need to be tested on the simulator for every single model - just on a subset that spans the device spec variations that matter to themes.

So, I'm looking for a reference that shows me what is that subset of simulators I need to test on for a

particular device family.

If RIM does not already have a resource like this available to theme and app developers, they should.  It is a colossal waste of aggregate developer time and effort for each individual developer to have to assemble this

information independently.   RIM's developers should be spending as much of their development time as

possible doing things that enhance the value of the ecosystem.

Contributor
tutibreaker

u men family sub set of curve os7 is 9350/9360/9370 same escreen resolution 1 theme will work for this devices, curve os7 9220/9310/9320 same screen resolution, Bold os7 family 9900/9930 same screen reolution 1 theme will work, torch 9850/9860 there are the theme than i tested in the simulators and works fine
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Yeah, that's what I mean.  So again, my question is:  Is there a document somewhere from RIM that maps out what is the representative subset of device simulators I would need to test on to support e.g. a given OS version, or device family, etc?  As I said, it is a waste of aggregate developers' time for every single developer to have to go and dig all this info out of a bunch of different device spec pages - time that would be better spent creating and testing themes and apps.

Contributor
tutibreaker

as i know, no, there is not a map for that
Developer
webmann
My Device: Torch 9810

What i normally do is i go to gsmarena.com and check the phone specs there.For me it's the easiest way so far

BlackBerry Junction
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/18485
Developer
dwaynedm
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900

Yes, I do agree with you. RIM really should have a Device matrix. Everytime I find myself googling it and checking which devices have what screen res./OS.

Hope they come out with one asap! 

1. If any post helps you please click  Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

:smileyhappy:

Developer
webmann
My Device: Torch 9810

I will create a device matrix and post it on my site sometime.Will keep you updated

BlackBerry Junction
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/18485