Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

New Developer
aakashbanerjee
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Display random images in a specific area on HomeScreen

Hi,

I am trying to create a rectangular area around the banner on the homescreen. I want to use this area of the screen to display random images. Is it necessary that all the images need to be on my device memory?

My understanding reading all the documentation is that I can create an SVG using the composer and import it in the theme builder. Where it becomes a little tricky is using the SVG in a Javascript or any other scripting language to grab the image from a specific location and display it. Is this feasible? Has anyone tried this? Will appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
HourglassThorne
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Display random images in a specific area on HomeScreen

When it comes to images and SVGs, it's not that tricky really.

First you create an SVG in Composer that uses seperate JPGs/PNGs for buttons/backgrounds/etc.  Then you import that SVG into the Home Screen/Lock Screen of Theme Builder.  When you export the final theme file, Theme Builder will automatically embed the images the SVG uses into it.

Driving mobile personalization @ Access Lane.
Find over 300 Access Lane themes @ AppWorld.
Follow the artist @ Deviantart.com.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
aakashbanerjee

So I have created a rectangular area with dimensions 0 52 319 40 and then added action to load scene which is another svg file that has the absolute path to the image stored on my computer. When I test this on the simulator in the composer (8330 OS vs 4.5.0.66) the svg work fine and load the image but not in the rectangular area I have specified but on the full screen. Is there anyway I can restrict the image to be dispalyed in the rectangular area still keeping the background intact? Since the simulator shows that the image is being displayed I imported the svg into the theme builder homescreen. What happens then is the rectangular area is shown on the theme but the image does not load at all.

Is there any specific way I can only display an image on the specific rectangular area without loading a scene? Appreciate anyone who can help.

Please use plain text.
Developer
EThemes
My Device: 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Try creating a new Composer document for the Curve 8330 series.

Then just drag your image file from Windows Explorer onto the canvas.  Move the image to the top left and then export the document as SVG. 

Import the SVG into a 8330 custom theme in ThemeBuilder.  Your image should appear at the top of the homescreen.  You may have to change the banner background to a transparent image, or you can add your image in right there as the banner background. 

If you want to rotate between a set of images in your SVG you will have to set up some sort of animation that triggers on some button event or based on a timer.

Hope that helps

Please use plain text.
New Developer
aakashbanerjee

Thanks so much...will try that and post if that works.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
aakashbanerjee

That was the best piece of advice I got...Thanks so much. I have been able to create the theme, SVG and display the image on the homescreen successfully. Now I am going to try toggling between multiple images each image showing after time delays.

Will let you guys know if I encounter hurdles.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.