Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

New Developer
New Developer
hp3
My Device: Not Specified

Dynamic themes which change on randomness or time date

Is there any way to build a BlackBerry theme that has elements that change due to randomness, date, time or other factors?  For example, I would like to have a theme that randomly displays 1 of 4 background images when the user navigates to the home screen.

Developer
HourglassThorne

Re: Dynamic themes which change on randomness or time date

If you want to create something like this, you will want to look into learning how to use Composer and how to write SVG code.  This is the only way you can add some dynamic elements to the Home Screen and the Lock Screen of your themes.

Driving mobile personalization @ Access Lane.
Find over 300 Access Lane themes @ AppWorld.
Follow the artist @ Deviantart.com.
New Developer
New Developer
hp3

[ Edited ]

Just to clarify are you saying that the SVG interpreter for the BlackBerry theme media engine will also execute JavaScript that is included in a SVG? Is there any documentation on how the interpreter supports JavaScript in SVG?

If this is the case then I would assume that I would use an SVG file as a background image for the theme and embed JavaScript code that can randomly "show" or "hide" an image within the SVG file.

Developer
HourglassThorne

What I'm saying is that SVG can be used here as more than just an image source.  SVG can be coded like JavaScript,  rather, it's more similar to XML than JavaScript.

Using a combination of Composer and hand-coding SVG, you can create animated/interactive Home Screens and Lock Screens.

It's definitely more complicated, though, than just using Theme Builder to create a theme.  Here's two pieces of documentation that RIM has created specifically towards using Composer and SVG:

SVG for Blackberry Smartphones

Composer for Blackberry Smartphones (4.7)

Even though the Composer documentation is for 4.7 version, I know that they didn't change much between that version and the current 5.0.

I hope this helps.

New Developer
New Developer
hp3

thanks for providing these references.

I dont think a pure SVG coded solution will provide the capability of displaying an image based upon date/time or randomness, so I dont think a pure SVG coded solution will be enough.  I will need somekind of scripting control over the SVG document.  I will try to research this more.

Developer
HourglassThorne

Far as I know, from what I was told by the people who make Theme Builder at the last developer conference, there is no way (yet) to set animation triggers based on current time or date.

For my own themes, I've created SVG animations that are triggered to change every X number of min/second/hours.  I've also created animations that are triggered based on which shortcut buttons are highlighted which may or may not stop when the user focuses off the button.  It gives an air of randomness when it really isn't.

There's quite a bit you can do, though you will probably have to learn a bit about hand-coding SVG, because relying solely on Composer will only get you so far.