Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

New Developer
DMedlam
My Device: Curve 8310

Help with 8310 Navigation

So first the basics.. I have an 8310 with software v.4.5, theme builder 5.0, and Plazmic 4.7

The background...  In the OS 4.5 release for the 8310 there is a default theme called "Dimension L" that has vertical icons on the left and horizontal icons at the bottom.  The side icons allow for up and down navigation between the icons and the bottom icons allow for left and right navigation.

The problem... I can find no way what so ever in either Theme Builder nor Plazmic that will build such a theme mimicing these navigational traits.  I build a theme that has the "today" areas at top and icons at the bottom, and everything works, but I can only specify up and down OR left and right navigation for the entire home screen - which is just irritating because for either the veritcal or the horizontal icons, the navigation will be backwards matter which way I go with it.  I'm further frustrated because I know it's possible.  Blackberry did it in the OS release.

I've tried every which way I can think of to get the navigation to go up and down for the verticals and left and right on the horizontals - even going so far as trying to use templates of other BB models that share similar characteristics with the 8310 like the 8350 or the 8500 - which WILL allow for all directions of navigation, but fails when I try to load it in to the 8310.

So my question is.. is there a way to specify left/right navigation for horizontal icons, and up/down for vertical icons in the 8310 home screen, at the same time?  It's obviously possible because like I said, it's a default theme in OS 4.5, but is it possible for us theme builder developers.

New Developer
g2hockey
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Help with 8310 Navigation

Unfortunately, OS4.5 doesn't seem to support custom navigational links.

Since 8350, 8520 have newer OS( 4.6.1), maybe that's why custom navigational links are supported.

Developer
HourglassThorne
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Help with 8310 Navigation

I think there might be a way for you to create the kind of navigation you described below.  However, I think it will involve opening up Composer and creating a file with custom buttons and/or learning some SVG coding.

Here are links to what Blackberry has for info for both the program and SVG in general:

Composer User Guide

SVG for Blackberry Smartphones

Hope this helps some.

Driving mobile personalization @ Access Lane.
Find over 300 Access Lane themes @ AppWorld.
Follow the artist @ Deviantart.com.