Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

New Contributor
MarkThis
My Device: Bold 9700

How to lock subcaret or caret in home?

Hi,

I created a nice theme for easy usage, but in the homescreen I want to lock the caret or subcaret under the block Calender. Now it only highlights when the cursus is going over the item, but I need the caret to be visible ALL the time.

Can I do this in a other way? It seems the Theme Builder is not able to do this, no lock option there!

I use TB 5.0.0.34 for the Bold 9700.

Thanks!

Mark

Developer
amusic
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: ATT

Re: How to lock subcaret or caret in home?

You are right. There is no lock options under today part. However, maybe a solution is to do a little trick by creating background with caret on it or an svg file so it appears like there is something there.

Only device that matter...BLACKBERRY
Visit our site: www.bb.3mtb.com
Follow us on Twitter: MusicsBB
Become a fan on Facebook: Music's BlackBerry
New Contributor
MarkThis

Did that, but I have more backgrounds, it's not that nice. Can I use Java to do this? In Eclipse?

Thanks, Mark

Developer
amusic

You probably can, but I am not Java programmer and I can't speculate on that one.

Developer
HourglassThorne
My Device: Not Specified

Unfortunately, I cannot help you regarding locking the carets on the Home Screen.  However, I can tell you that while you are able to use SVGs in the Home and Lock Screens, you cannot use Java or Eclipse files in themes.

I think the most logical solution is to create an SVG file that contains a custom-made Calendar Button. 

Once you create the button, you then create whatever seperate background/popup image you want specifically for the Calendar's background.

After this image is created, you animate it so that whenever the user focuses on the Calendar Button, it makes the calendar background/popup fade in.  Reversely, you can also make it so that the calendar background/popup fades out whenever the user focuses off the Calendar Button.

Driving mobile personalization @ Access Lane.
Find over 300 Access Lane themes @ AppWorld.
Follow the artist @ Deviantart.com.
New Contributor
MarkThis

Thanks for the reply!

Back to basic again :smileyvery-happy:

I want to offer this free Comfort Theme to all the 9700 users, but for the BB APP I need to pay 200??? To publish a free theme? 10 submissions? lol

It's just for free, my god...

Where can I post this theme?

Developer
amusic

That is way too much if you ask me.
To simplify all this, I would sign up on one of the free sites such as themes4bb.com and they will let you host all these files for free. They are first that come to my mind and of course, you can find another sites similar to theirs but I leave that up to you.

Developer
HourglassThorne
My Device: Not Specified

Playing devil's advocate here, so bear with me:

My theory is that the reason it does cost a lot to put up a theme or app on Blackberry App World is so that the marketplace DOESN'T get flooded with a slew of free apps/themes and utterly kills any "for profit" potential an artist/company might have.

Think about this scenario regarding Apple's iPhones:

Designer A spends weeks/months creating an app.  He's put in a ton of bells and whistles, and tested it extensively to make sure everything works properly.  He puts this app for sale in iPhone's marketplace for $5.

Designer B slaps together an app that does pretty much the same thing as Designer A's app.  It's not pretty, and it has a few glitches, but all in all it still works, even though it is definitely a lower quality product.  Not caring about profit, he puts this app on the marketplace for free.

Which app will be downloaded more in this scenario? 

It may not seem like it at first glance, but I believe the business model for Blackberry's App World is really one that tries to make it a place where a theme/app designer CAN make money for all the hours/days/weeks of work they've put into their products.

Driving mobile personalization @ Access Lane.
Find over 300 Access Lane themes @ AppWorld.
Follow the artist @ Deviantart.com.