Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

Contributor
Juggalo20
My Device: 9900 and PlayBook

Re: Looking Ahead: Theme Studio for OS7 and QNX

And I read my PlayBook would have email before last summer. RIM's official word is worth about as much as the gum off the bottom of my shoe.

I honestly don't care what their excuse (or lie) is. All I know is they keep pumping out themes while saying "we don't know how to make a program for it". It shouldn't take a year to get an update .exe out the door for something they already know how to do.
Contributor
Angus-Black
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook

[ Edited ]

I read that the reason they haven't put out a new theme builder is because they are having problems with making it work with the new OS. That stands to reason since often when you change coding for one thing it breaks something else.

So take that into consideration and don't just accuse them of not doing it!

You would think RIM would have the inside track on this.  If they can't develope a theme builder to work with their own OS we are in trouble.  :smileyhappy:

Most companies don't start thinking about supporting their own devices after they are released.  That is normally part of the preplanning.

Remember, RIM gets a cut of theme sales too.  Blackberry World is not a free service to developers.

Anyway, let's not turn this thread into a RIM rant.

Contributor
Juggalo20

What's left but to rant? We all love BlackBerry, we all want themes. And RIM has come forward and admitted they are inept, and told us to wait about a year. All that's left is to post that we're pissed about this, and beg them to step up their game.
Contributor
Angus-Black
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook

I don't love my Blackberry.  It's a tool I require for my work.

I won't beg, there are too many other device options available.

Contributor
Juggalo20

Ok... Well.. Most of us then :smileytongue:
Developer
Pootermobile
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

I agree with what Angus-Black said, I didn't create this thread so that we can complain about the PlayBook not having email yet or things like that. I made this thread so that we can show our enthusiasm about wanting to theme for OS7 and possibly for BB10.

I totally understand some people's frustrastion and I'm not telling you not to be frustrated but there is always room for politeness even though you haven't been treated in the same manner.

I want RIM to see that theme developers are a proffesional hard working group that deserve to be listened to and supported. Let's show them that we should not be ignored, because we love the platform and want to keep developing for it.

Thank you to everyone that has kept posting here. Keep those comments coming! And here's to a new year and hopefully a new Theme Studio!

Pootermobile
Regular Contributor
ale7714
My Device: Not Specified

Agree with you! Most Theme Developers take this very serious! Hopefully RIM notice it :smileyhappy:....
New Contributor
vfsantos1976
My Device: TORCH 9810

I`m from Brazil and I got a torch9810. Its a pitty dont make my themes like I used make when I had a torch9800. PLEASE BLACKBERRY TEAM I BEG YOU GIVE US A THEME STUDIO FOR OS7. Tks
Regular Contributor
Sashko
My Device: Bold 9700

I started theming about a year ago building a "Simple Weather Slot" theme for the 9700/9780 on BB6 for myself and sharing it with the community for free as I had already built it for myself and figured others might as well use it. I went back to OS 5 on my 9700 (after also building an equivalent copy of my theme for the 9800) and I made an equivalent theme for it.

I tried the 9900 several months ago, and one of the main things it was missing was theme customization that I've grown used to with my previous BlackBerrys. I ended up returning it within the store's return policy and going back to my 9700.

Not having theme building capabilities is indeed unacceptable, and I really think that this is something that RIM can't take lightly. Obviously I'm not alone in this.

BTW just out of curiosity, does anyone here know any of the work-arounds for building BB7 themes?

Contributor
EnoughIsEnough
My Device: 9930

No excuses for RIM - Call it like it is. QNX is nothing

Call this a rant or the cold hard truth.  If RIM can't release OS7 Themebuilder a year after OS7 was finalized, they are incompetent.  They have the tools, the source code, the SW developers, and the know  how.  

If RIM was still in touch with their customers like they used to be, they would know that themes were very important and central to most users.  business users used the Today theme constantly, others used Zen, and others just liked the ability to change the BB experience for $2.99 or even free in many cases.  

5 years ago, RIM got this and EVERYONE desired a BB.  They appeared to by unstoppable like Apple is now.  Apple didn't beat RIM, RIM f'd it up.  You couldn't try to FAIL as big as RIM has for the past 3 years.

QNX?  Forget about it. QNX is just another platform that takes competent SW engineers to write good code.  A bad driver will crash a Ferrari even worse than a Honda.  

RIM, bottom line, you really are pathetic.  Look at this thread.  These are pro-blackberry people who want to develop themes for the enjoyment of millions of people.  Themebuilder 7 should be a top priority!  

Either you are to dumb to figure this out, or you simply don't care about your user base.  Which one is it?

I'm one of the last ones at my company that still carries a BlackBerry.  (9930 by the way)  But not for much longer.  This phone has become boring, dull, uncreative, the anticipated web browser still bites, and I can't even get a Today Theme.