Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

Contributor
luckysol
My Device: 9300 3G Curve
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Looking Ahead: Theme Studio for OS7 and QNX

Gosh, this thread is about as painful to watch as the sinking of the Blackberry brand. It's over folks. The BB10 is a last ditch effort to save the brand, and well, it's a knock-off iPhone w/ Blackberry written on it. It's about as sad as watching a starving puppy beg its uncaring master for crumbs...when there are no crumbs to give. Execs are jumping ship left and right, devs and users are pissed, and the best they could offer is a knock-off iPhone?!? Seriously folks, give the pisstivity a rest and move on to figuring out what phone brand you're buying next. It'll be a much better use of your time and passion.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ale7714
My Device: Not Specified

luckysol wrote:
Gosh, this thread is about as painful to watch as the sinking of the Blackberry brand. It's over folks. The BB10 is a last ditch effort to save the brand, and well, it's a knock-off iPhone w/ Blackberry written on it. It's about as sad as watching a starving puppy beg its uncaring master for crumbs...when there are no crumbs to give. Execs are jumping ship left and right, devs and users are pissed, and the best they could offer is a knock-off iPhone?!? Seriously folks, give the pisstivity a rest and move on to figuring out what phone brand you're buying next. It'll be a much better use of your time and passion.

I know lot of devs that are developing or actually really interested in developing for BB :smileywink:... Instead of leaving a bunch of dumb comments complaining (these comment is not for luckysol :smileywink:), use the time in making something productive... You don't want to develop for BB anymore? go and do something else. You want to develop for BB? Go and do something.... :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
christianlafond2009
My Device: PlayBook, curve and pearl
My Carrier: Hutchinson 3G-UK

As far as I know, you can't bite the hand that feeds you unless it actually feeds you!

why are you still defending rim people even when they are pulling the plug, 

And for those who said android and IOS doesn't have themes, IOS gets jailbroken mainly to add Themes.

I don't understand why the consumer does not get a choice at all, 

It can't harm rim to give the choice, nobody has a gun to my head saying "you have to use themes!"

I choose to use themes, we all choose to use themes and I know others that are only keeping their blackberry because it's different.

Maybe I should just stand back and watch the ship sink.

Putting my PlayBook and curve on ebay today and going to give up with trying to save rim, I mean I can't do anything anyway because I'm just one man.

For the first time in 9 years I have to admit that RIM is failing.

I have put up with a phone that crashes daily because Developers aren't doing their jobs properly,

I put up with a phone that everyone I know cusses and says "they are for business men and that's it"

And I always defended rim, never said a bad word.

"hey look what I have on my blackberry" 

" look its really cool, oh wait it crashed"

"oh its alright its just because ummm...."

Same story with the PlayBook when rim fails,

Bye blackberry community, I'm selling up and moving on 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
christianlafond2009
My Device: PlayBook, curve and pearl
My Carrier: Hutchinson 3G-UK

I'm sorry I was supposed to write some nice stuff in that comment to outweigh the bad stuff so here goes...

1) RIM uses I nice shade of black rubber on their handsets and ima miss it, I'm actually being serious.

2) The use of low quality plastics is appealing to me.

3) maybe it is a good idea to get rid of themes, I just don't see what it is.

4) I'm just a proverbial donkey.

5) I love an OS that looks exactly the same from 4.6.1 to 7.0, I'm genuinely serious, I don't like change :/

6) I love a phone that crashes daily.

7) I love waiting around 15 minutes for my phone to turn back on after a battery pull.

8) I love the way apple and android users chuckle at us like we are misguided.

9) I love pretending its all going to be fixed in BBX

10) I love Pretending BBX won't flop.

11) I like knowing that RIM will compensate me for the 9 years of buying their phones and them turning out to be rushed.

12) I loved waiting for PlayBook os2.0

13) I love how when we wait a 9 months for a crucial update, it still doesn't work correctly.

14) I love how RIM listens to me

15) I Hate knowing its all going to end soon :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EnoughIsEnough
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Vzw

I'm done with this thread.  But I do want to leave the marketing people at RIM one last message.  Thanks for providing this forum to vent and discuss this good and bad.  My company is near Waterloo and the 400+ employees were all on Blackberries as the company is very Nationalistic and proud of RIM's Canadian heritage.  Most of our staff watched RIM grow from an obscure pager to the #1 desired cell phone.  Crackberry :smileyhappy:

Today, our standard issue is 9900 or 9930 depending on location.  70% of our employees past on a free Bolds and bought there own iPhones and various Android based phones. 

RIM Marketing, you're totally not aligned with your users anymore.  We know QNX.  We used QNX to drive our whole product line when we wanted to find a Microsoft alternative OS.  That was 10 YEARS AGO!  

Themes represent a connection to the users.  That's what is missing now.

Please use plain text.
jakoby4204
My Device: Not Specified

EnoughIsEnough wrote:

I'm done with this thread.  But I do want to leave the marketing people at RIM one last message.  Thanks for providing this forum to vent and discuss this good and bad.  

I actually loved this discussion... I've followed most of this thread since it started. Had to delete the James bond mentions however.... try to be be a bit more cordial guys.

Lots of differing opinions, but keep it intelligent and with mutual respect... that's why I've been following the thread for so long. I've actually used your post as an example of what a constructive debate in the community should look like.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
PapaMagsThemes
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Well I guess I will add my two cents worth. I know RIM has their plate full right now, and just trying to survive, but I am still confused why they don't support a new group of devices with development tools that will keep them going. With me it has never been about the device in hand, but the OS it's running. I'm a Theme Builder and I like it, but don't understand why you won't kick out a TB that supports OS 7, and now you are moving on and forgetting about all who have upgraded. No Theme Development, not too many OS updates. My oh My

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hedonehawker
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Did anyone yet chek how we'll be able to use Cascade for theming BB10 devices? :smileywink:

Branko Nikolic (aka Hedone Hawker)

www.bbdevbalkan.com
www.i-mentalist.com
www.hedonedesign.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smartbuddy
My Device: Z10 - STL 100-1
My Carrier: Qtel

Waiting, waiting and more waiting...the new tag line for RIM should be "Wait unlimited...".

Come on get the Theme Studio for OS7 out atleast now ...

Please use plain text.
Developer
omigo
My Device: Bellagio 9790, BB10 Alpha Dev, Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Now all the OS 7 devices look the same. Be sure to change the background/wallpaper more often :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.