Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

Contributor
bbthemelab

Re: Looking Ahead: Theme Studio for OS7 and QNX

Listening to me??? No.

BB10 is a different breed. Themes were not thought of when they designed BB10. Which, in my opinion, is VERY smart. Themes will not save them - games and apps will. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbthemelab

@Angus-Black

Thanks for those kind words bro. :smileywink: 

that was the main goal for that site.

I am not doing bbdevlab to replace bbthemelab. 

www.bbdevlab.com

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Angus-Black
My Carrier: Rogers

I originally went to the bbthemelab to get OS7 icons.

I spent some time in the forums too.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Juggalo20

Well no. Themes will not save them nor will lack of themes kill them. But killing them off is from "smart". I can't fathom how killing a popular feature and annoying your current/loyal users and developers (right or wrong I value a good themer as much as a good app/game dev) could be concidered a "smart" move. Not to mention a revenue stream.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbthemelab

There are developers (including myself) that know the entire story that went with themes. I can not go into detail here. However, after being on numerious calls with people from RIM, I can tell you that it has always been a part of them to design theme builder 7.

Due to documents that I signed I can not go any deeper than that. Please understand that RIM never looked into **bleep** anyone off. When Alec Saunder became developer relations, his main goal was to have ALL developer be equal. He worked his **bleep** off to make that happen. (Trust me - again, I can't go into detail).

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. I want TB7, I want BB10 themes, but more importantly, I want to see the RIM device succeed. IOS and Android do not succeed because they have themes/skins. They succeeded because of their great operating systems and the amazing games/apps people can play/use.

Strategicly, this is the best thing RIM could do.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EnoughIsEnough
My Carrier: Vzw

bbthemelab wrote:
There are developers (including myself) that know the entire story that went with themes. I can not go into detail here. However, after being on numerious calls with people from RIM, I can tell you that it has always been a part of them to design theme builder 7.

Due to documents that I signed I can not go any deeper than that. Please understand that RIM never looked into **bleep** anyone off. When Alec Saunder became developer relations, his main goal was to have ALL developer be equal. He worked his **bleep** off to make that happen. (Trust me - again, I can't go into detail).

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. I want TB7, I want BB10 themes, but more importantly, I want to see the RIM device succeed. IOS and Android do not succeed because they have themes/skins. They succeeded because of their great operating systems and the amazing games/apps people can play/use.

Strategicly, this is the best thing RIM could do.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Juggalo20

But Android doesn't fail because it has themes either (Sense, Touchwiz etc which are essentially theme-ish). BBOS isn't failing because of themes. But a UI that doesn't please the user will put them off of it. And themes are the way to solve that.

Great apps/games will really only put RIM on par with Android/iOS. The OS and UI then come into play in a big way. People have been installing/creating themes for every tech device possible. There is a strong case to allow it.

I get that they sold you on the idea with insider info. But to those of us without it, it makes little to no sense. And there will always be outrage when a company strips a feature that is loved.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbthemelab

[ Edited ]

I know whats it called...<removed>.

Your term of "killing themes" is something that I never said was a good idea. They refocused their target. Which, strategically, was a great idea.

They always wanted Android and iOS devs to be on their playform. However, why develop Java (BB) and then C++/HTML/Actionscript else where. One dev who designs an app for android/apple can easily design an app for BB. Strategically, a good idea.

iOS and Android did not get popular with themes (as stated before). Its a nice feature that I can download and use a skin on my android, but seriously, who cares.

They didn't intend to kill themes for OS7. It's a shame they can not tell everyone why TB7 is this far back dated, and I sure wont be that person to spread that news. 

As for BB10, as I know more, perhaps I will say more. I will have to ask what I can actually say...

Im done. You all can say whatever, but im not going to reply. For those who know where to find me, we can talk on BBM.

Good luck to you all.... Back to developing some OS7 themes.......... :Clap:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbthemelab

@Juggalo

They never "sold" me. What happened between OS6 TB and OS7 TB is something that not many people know and that not even the developer can change. They didn't sit me down and say, you have to believe us, we wanted this, but were just lazy. When they told me what happened, it all came together. 

That is why I said they always had theme developers for OS7 in the back of their minds. BB10 was outsourced, it was never really concidered.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EnoughIsEnough
My Carrier: Vzw

[ Edited ]

bbthemelab wrote:

I know whats it called... but thanks for being a dbag.

Your term of "killing themes" is something that I never said was a good idea. They refocused their target. Which, strategically, was a great idea.

They always wanted Android and iOS devs to be on their playform. However, why develop Java (BB) and then C++/HTML/Actionscript else where. One dev who designs an app for android/apple can easily design an app for BB. Strategically, a good idea.

iOS and Android did not get popular with themes (as stated before). Its a nice feature that I can download and use a skin on my android, but seriously, who cares.

They didn't intend to kill themes for OS7. It's a shame they can not tell everyone why TB7 is this far back dated, and I sure wont be that person to spread that news. 

As for BB10, as I know more, perhaps I will say more. I will have to ask what I can actually say...

Im done. You all can say whatever, but im not going to reply. For those who know where to find me, we can talk on BBM.

Good luck to you all.... Back to developing some OS7 themes.......... :Clap:

<removed>

a theme is more than a cosmetic play toy, it's a functional part of the OS.  It's allows direct access from the homescreen to email and calendar functions.  This is called the Today theme.  And it was standard issue for business users and soccer moms alike.  

So you can give it up on your top secret discussions with RIM, because it's irrelevent.  What's relevent is that RIM has effectively devalued their own product by not supporting TB7 and giving developers and users alike the ability to add functionality to our Blackberry's.

Later.

Please use plain text.