Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Storm OS 5.0 Landscape Issue

Just about everyone has updated their Storm devices to OS 5.0...so that means tons of emails for us!

Now minor things like fonts can be changed and the user experience remains good, but everyone is going nuts over the issue that OS 5.0 from Verizon causes custom themes to display the landscape mode Application list wallpaper in a terrible fashion. The background image is tiled with the default image and it looks like it is pulling the image dimension from the vertical mode.

Shortly, it looks terrible and unacceptable. Some strange fixes have been discovered like reloading the wallpaper image manually from Media, but that solution is not feasible as it requires us to have to send, along with the theme files, an image that the user needs to load first onto their phone, and then onto their device and activate. That is way too much instruction and we need a fix.

Anyone find a solution?

Solutions: 6,064
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Storm OS 5.0 Landscape Issue

This isn't an issue of third party custom themes which were built using the CDK 4.7 instead of for version 5?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

That is true, but for every bug out there on OS 5.0 there is a work around...like if the font doesn't appear correctly, modify the color or just don't touch it. As with every issue that I have faced over the years of working with the CDK I'm sure there is a work around for the landscape view background problem. Again, one has been found but it requires the user to manually change the wallpaper on their own. I think there is a possible work around that just hasn't been discovered yet.

If anyone has some leads, do share :smileyhappy:

New Developer
My Device: 9500, 8520, 8900

the work around seems to be a simple one, however it only works until the handset is restarted, or a new theme is selected, so please bear that in mind

1) when in full application list menu (screen full of icons), press menu key> options> change wallpaper> save

now the wallpaper MUST be changed, which does make it a bit awful for the theme, however if the theme is designed with the wallpaper either in the svg or the fullscreen banner then it doesnt show any different, if however your theme uses a normal wallpaper, maybe allowing users to download the image will help

2) next go back into the options, and change the layout from 2 rows to `today` and save

3) go back in and change back to 2 rows and once again save your actions

all should now be good in the world, however there have been reports that this does slow the handset down a little, and even causes memory leak, however it is only a workaround, not a permanent solution, hopefully the solution will be plazmic 5.0 and hopefully it will be out soon!!

hope this helps some people

impossible is nothing