Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

Developer
EThemes
My Device: 9500

Re: Theme Builder 5.0 Problem: Themes taking forever (>15-20 mins) or not ever loading!?!?!

Wow, thats a real bummer.  Do you have incremental backups of the Theme file?  You should definitely send your theme file to support and hope they can recover it.

New Developer
Bartman_eh
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Theme Builder 5.0 Problem: Themes taking forever (>15-20 mins) or not ever loading!?!?!

I am now experiencing this same issue of long loading times.  Has anyone made progress on this in the last weeK?

New Developer
dhochh

Well RIM and their support have not been ANY help as far as I'm concerned.

That being said do the following:

1) Create a new Theme in Theme Builder

2) Import old Theme (this may take a while so go away and be patient)

3) Save New Theme

This is not a 100% fix, but in most cases it brings themes back to normal loading times (short).

Dave

New Developer
Bartman_eh

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave.  Even that process was taking too long to handle.  The newly saved theme as a result of the import still never seemed to load.

I read on another forum that it could be caused by some internal pointers of the theme having gone invalid.  I did uninstall the old Plasmic v4.7 theme builder app for example.  Maybe there were some lingered hooks from my theme to some old Plasmic resources.

In any event, I went ahead and recreated my theme from scratch and, of course, it's loading fine now.

This really points to the fact that the Theme Builder app needs better error handling/checking.  If it can't find the source of a file pointer, it should throw up and dialog asking the user what to do.  It certainly shouldn't just hang there.

Thanks for your help,

Bart

Developer
EThemes

I have another suggestion that seemed to work for me.  Unfortunately, this only has potential to work if you can get the original theme file to open.  My theme file had some custom svg files in it, which I think caused the original issue of slow loading.

1) Open the theme file that takes forever to load.

2) Remove any custom SVG file references in the Home screen or Lock screen

3) Save out the theme file again, optionally as a new file.

4) Create a new custom theme file

5) Import the old theme (with no svg) into the new theme

6) Re-add the custom svg files.

7) Save out the theme file and reload it.

This technique of removing the custom svg seemed to work for me when just importing the original did not.

New Developer
CalxDesign
My Device: Bold 9700

This happened to me a lot while building my latest theme. The "import trick" worked to various degrees, but i now find myself saving after almost every edit.

New Developer
dhochh

Ok... worked wtih BB support and we identified the issue.

When you do save as it changes the theme (the save as theme which becomes your new working theme in theme developer) somehow and enough of those and it corrupts.

So the work around is to try not to use save as... use save, make a physical copy as a backup (but continue to use the main copy for editing).

Dave

Developer
EThemes

For those of you who have been experiencing long load times for their theme files, there is a work around.  If you find your theme file is taking longer to load, delete the Application Slots in the Custom Homescreen and then re-add them.  Save out the theme and the next open should be much faster.

New Contributor
HellKatzX
My Device: Storm 2 - 9550

Thanks EThemes, that helped me out, my theme was taking over an hour to load