Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

New Developer
trafsta
My Device: Not Specified

"Unknown Error" in Theme Builder 5.0 when opening theme with > 35 homescreen icons

[ Edited ]

Under Plazmic 4.7 I had a 40 homescreen icon theme that worked great on my Bold 9000. I have since switched to a Bold 9700 and Theme Builder 5.0 but am unable to open my old 4.7 theme as I receive an "Unknown error" when trying to open the .thm file. I figured I would just recreate the 40 icon theme from scratch in Theme Builder 5.0 and that I would be good to go from there, however, although I can create the theme with 40 icons, after saving it, I cannot reopen it as I get an "Unknown error" once again. I did some tests and it seems that as soon as I have over 35 home screen icons in Theme Builder 5.0 this error occurs. With 35 or less it works fine. You might as why I need 40 icons? Well, I don't NEED it, but it's great to have, and I had made my theme public for the Bold 9000 and have hundreds of users who have downloaded it (and likely enough of them liked it enough to keep using it). So my question is has anyone else experienced this error, and does anyone know how to resolve it? Can I simply make a Curve 8900 theme in Plazmic 4.7 (same screen resolution as the 9700) and use it on the 9700? My theme is pretty basic, the main change is the 40 icons and different size tab focus and flash images to make smaller icons... so I don't need any of the newer functionality in Theme Builder 5.0.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get around this issue please let me know. I think what I might try doing is saving the almost-complete theme with 35 icons in Theme Builder 5.0, and then whenever I need to make an adjustment I'll just have to open that 35 theme file, make the adjustment, save, and then add the 5 addional icons to get 40 icons, then export to jad, and then close the file without saving it again... so I'll basically have to keep adding the 5 icons every time I edit it since if I save it with 40 icons I won't be able to open it again...

But yeah, anyways, any advice or suggestions to avoid this workaround would be appreciated.

Screenshot of Unknown Error

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
g2hockey

Re: "Unknown Error" in Theme Builder 5.0 when opening theme with > 35 homescreen icons

Hey Trafsta,

I think I have the same problem as you, but there maybe a workaround to get 40 icons in the homescreen.

First, let me guess that you were adding 40 Zen apps onto the custom homescreen?

If so, you can go to the application grid screen in Theme Builder 5.0, and in Application Hierarchy, move some apps from any folder and add them to the bottom of the app hierarchy.

I guess the problem is that when there are more than 35 apps in homescreen, there aren't enough default apps in the app heirarchy to assign to >35 apps. Thus, by moving some apps from folder to bottom of app hierarchy, there are now more apps available for assignment.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
trafsta

Re: "Unknown Error" in Theme Builder 5.0 when opening theme with > 35 homescreen icons

Cool, I might try that sometime :smileyhappy: Thanks for the workaround.

What I ended up doing though is going back to Plazmic 4.7, created a 9600 480x360 theme, imprted my old 9000 480x320 theme, adjusted it for the extra 40 pixels, saved, exported as 9600 alx, loaded with desktop manager onto my 9700, and boom, good to go. Took 5-10 minutes, no mess, no fuss, man I love 4.7... I'll be waiting for the next release of 5.0 before I go back to it...

Please use plain text.