Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Hsuny
My Carrier: virgin mobile

2 Way sync problems

I want my gmail contacts and my phone contacts to sync in a 2-way fashion.  Currently, a contact that is added to my gmail will show up on my phone "sometimes" after a long wait.  Any contact added to my phone will not show up on gmail "ever".  I have a playbook and they 2-way sync perfectly.   Any ideas?  I have wireless sync on my phone's contact list and have deleted and re-activated my BIS account a few times.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: 2 Way sync problems

Under Options - Device - Advanced System Settings - Default Services is your gmail account listed for Contact Sync or as something else? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pchamand
My Carrier: Rogers

I have exactly the same problem - a Playbook that syncs perfectly with gmail for mail, contacts and calendar. But my 9810 will not update contacts to Google. Meanwhile, contacts entered or revised on Google will sync (update) with my 9810. Calendar syncs perfectly between phone and Google. Email synchs with a slight glitch - emails read on PC do not show up as read on the 9810 - a nuisance but not a showstopper (and I believe everyone has this problem). 

But I'm most interested in resolving the contact sync issue from phone to Google. I do a lot of updating on my phone. I need these entries syncing with Google.

I have been on the phone with Rogers several times. Deleted gmail and reinstalled. Wireless syncing enabled for gmail. All of it. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hsuny

Thanks for the replies.  I guess we have to assume there is no way to sync from phone to Gmail.  Next step is waiting for BB10.

As for the playbook sync.  If you add the contact from Gmail, you can erase it on either device or computer  and it syncs 2-way.  If you add contact to playbook and erase from Gmail it stays on playbook.  Kinda odd.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Hsuny, you don't appear to have read my post properly. The 2 way sync should work 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hsuny

Unfortunately all my settings are correct but 2-way sync not working when contacts are added to my phone.  I double checked advanced settings.  Any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pchamand

It is fixed now. You'll likely find that you don't have the SYNC service book for Gmail in your list of books on your phone, just CCAL and CMIME.. Resending the books did not solve the issue. The SYNC book would never register. It is a mystery why. But it can be solved thanx to the righteous Carolyn from RIM support. You'll also notice on your BIS login that the some sync settings are grayed out (inaccessible). That ain't right. 

It goes without saying, before you monkey with your BB - do a full data backup. Your apps should all be recorded on Appworld.

Make sure you are using your carrier's approved version of the OS.

Delete your gmail account from your phone. Confirm on your BIS site. 

Do a security wipe. Include data and programs.

Resend the service books. 

Add your gmail account manually to your phone and remember to set up your sync options. At this point, you should see your display run through the sync process. If no error occurs during this process you should be golden. Check your contacts to see if they came down from google.

When you restore your data, do a manual restore and ensure Address Book and Calendar are unchecked. This may not be required but it is what we did. A drawback is that your contacts that use a BB will not have their PINs recorded; however, if they are on BBM, their PINs will show up there.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hsuny

My first Service book is colinhsu@gmail.com [SYNC], my second and thirs books are [CICAL] AND [CMIME] respectively.  

Is it worth doing a full wipe and reload of all my gmail services?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pchamand

Maybe not. My impression was the RIM tech wanted me to go above and beyond what was likely required just to ensure it would work. I would just reload your gmail account and see if it successfully runs through the set up and sync process without errors. If you do get an error, I'd re-do the fix by repeating what I did. Sync works perfectly now and has since Sunday. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hsuny

Thank you for all your help.  I deleted my email account this morning and re-synced it.  It works now. 

The only issue that is outstanding is that when you use gmail to delete a contact that was originally added to the playbook, it does not delete on the PB (maybe this a setting on the PB that I am unaware of). 

The 2 way delete works on my TORCH, no matter where the contact was added, you can delete it on either device and it syncs.

Please use plain text.