Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

9800 won't start after downloading FourSquare app

Earlier in the year I downloaded the FourSquare app from BlackberryWorld, my screen froze, I did a soft reset and the phone never worked again - only got so far in restarting and when white line was about 1cm from the end it would restart again.  Last night I got an email from Amex about using FourSquare and downloaded it again, onto my new secondhand 9800 (which has been working perfectly since I spent a fortune buying it) - and guess what?  It has done the exact same thing to this phone - argh!  Does anyone have any bright ideas how to fix it?  I have a small business and totally rely on my phone.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9810 (Torch 2)
My Carrier: MTS RUS

Re: 9800 won't start after downloading FourSquare app

I guess the phone has to be flashed in 'no JVM' mode. All data will be lost in the process. And since your phone doesn't start all the way, there is no way to back up the data, unless you have backed it up before (using BlackBerry Protect on the phone or BlackBerry Desktop Software on the computer).

Head to the OS download page, find your carrier, choose your phone model, then download the latest phone OS. You will also need to download BlackBerry Desktop Software if you don't have it yet. Install BDS and the phone OS on your PC. 

To be on the safe side, look for 'vendor.xml' file and delete any instances you find. 

Open command prompt, type the following, one line at a time:

c:
cd "\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader"
Loader.exe /nojvm

The above code is for 64-bit systems, if you have 32-bit system, enter this:

c:
cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader"
Loader.exe /nojvm

Application Loader window will pop up. Click 'Next >', then remove-insert the battery and connect it to the PC while red light is on. As soon as 'Connection:' window shows your PIN code, click 'Next >', wait for the program to connect to phone, then check applications you need on the phone and uncheck those you don't need. Then click 'Next >' again to start flashing your phone. Don't remove it until the Loader tells you you're done. You should have a clean phone now. Restore backups (if you have any) from BlackBerry Desktop Software, or put in your SIM card and run BlackBerry Protect to recover backups wirelessly.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: 9800 won't start after downloading FourSquare app

How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode   

might be able to remove the app in safemode

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V