Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook and Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

9810 and apps...NOT GOOD

There are many apps that are extremely useful that cannot be downloaded at all, like most American Banks (mine is Bank of America), Amazon MP3 service (we can't  download any MP3s from anyone, as far as I can see), and Google voice search does not work.

What good is this great new OS with the fast processor if we cannot use the apps or access many mobile sites? Are these problems being worked on, because I am more than a little annoyed.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: 9810 and apps...NOT GOOD

Apps are up to the developers who make them, not RIM or BlackBerry.  You should be in contact with the developers of those apps to see when they will be updated to operate on BlackBerry OS7.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Boomer56 wrote:

Apps are up to the developers who make them, not RIM or BlackBerry.  You should be in contact with the developers of those apps to see when they will be updated to operate on BlackBerry OS7.

Ahhh, but there are RIM applications that are not available for the 9810, like AmazonMP3 and ebay. So what do you have to say about that?

I will add, however, that google mobile voice search now works, since I enabled the voice serach function for the device as a whole. That's a relief.

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

I updated my app world manualy and found 12 apps moved from unavailable to uninstalled, amazon being one (there was a link in the crackberry forum for ebay). Newest version is 2.1.4.9 I agree moving to a new OS and the developers lagging in app updates is anoying to say the least. I experienced the same issue when moving from OS 5 to OS 6.
8310>8900>9800 :0)
Contributor

Boomer56 wrote:

I see you chickened out of answering my question about why RIM didn't bother updating their own applications, like Amazon MP3 for OS7.

But, no. You are dead wrong. It should not be up to the individual consumer to be in contact with software developers. It is RIM that should be coordinating things  with them. I don't know software developers. RIM does.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

RIM knows when they will release a new OS and should provide developers with the tools they use to DEVELOPE in a timely fashion so the top used apps are ready by official launch date of the new OS. I moved from OS 5>OS6>OS7 and am quite anoyed by the wait involved getting the apps I'm used to and depend on in my daily use of my BB!
8310>8900>9800 :0)
Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

@barskin: There's no reason for you to be rude.  This is a user-to-user community.  I volunteer my time here with many other people, none of which works for RIM, and none of which has all the answers to everything, so I'll thank you to step down off your high horse.

RIM is a big company.  There are people who develop the hardware for RIM devices and there are people who develop software for RIM devices.  Sure, in a perfect world, the right hand would know what the left hand is doing and they would collaborate, but it ain't a perfect world and unfortunately you'll just have to wait a little bit for the left hand to catch up with the right hand.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

barskin wrote:

Boomer56 wrote:

I see you chickened out of answering my question about why RIM didn't bother updating their own applications, like Amazon MP3 for OS7.

I think RIM does what RIM does all the time: be late. In my opinion, it's not so much a question of "not bother doing the updates" but rather a question of "will do, but not right now".

The underlying question is, which scenario do you prefer?

• RIM releases the 9810, and the RIM apps will follow in the following weeks
  • RIM waits for RIM app dev teams to finish the apps in a few weeks, and forbid the 9810 to be released before that

I prefer the first scenario, which is the one you are currently complaining about.

barskin wrote:

But, no. You are dead wrong. It should not be up to the individual consumer to be in contact with software developers. It is RIM that should be coordinating things  with them. I don't know software developers. RIM does.

Putting aside the philosophical debate, do you want those websites to be usable on your 9810 as soon as possible?

If your answer is yes, then the fastest route is by contacting the webmaster of those sites. Not arguing on a community forum or whining why RIM is not doing their job.

I have done it for the websites I care about, I will not do it for you, and I care more about my supper tonight than the BankOfAmerica website.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Xandrex wrote:

barskin wrote:

Boomer56 wrote:

I think RIM does what RIM does all the time: be late. In my opinion, it's not so much a question of "not bother doing the updates" but rather a question of "will do, but not right now".

The underlying question is, which scenario do you prefer?

• RIM releases the 9810, and the RIM apps will follow in the following weeks
  • RIM waits for RIM app dev teams to finish the apps in a few weeks, and forbid the 9810 to be released before that

I prefer the first scenario, which is the one you are currently complaining about.

barskin wrote:

Putting aside the philosophical debate, do you want those websites to be usable on your 9810 as soon as possible?

If your answer is yes, then the fastest route is by contacting the webmaster of those sites. Not arguing on a community forum or whining why RIM is not doing their job.

I have done it for the websites I care about, I will not do it for you, and I care more about my supper tonight than the BankOfAmerica website.

Whoa.  I have to tell you, for someone who is just a private person and not a RIM employee, you are certainly taking this issue incredibly personally. But you might think about doing advertising campaigns for them. Let’s see: “the BlackBerry Torch 9810, We Care More About Our Supper Than Your Access to Bank of America Mobile Applications.” Bubbala…if I am on a high horse, you must be sitting on a giraffe. You want to ratchet this down a little bit?

Listen, I am a BlackBerry enthusiast. I am one of those Torch 9800 owners that ran out and was at the AT&T store the minute it opened on August 21, so I could get one of the first 9810’s out of the box. And I did. And I really enjoy this device. But, you must realize, we buy the newer generations of products, because we expect them to have more capabilities, not less. Mobile banking is one of those processes we depend upon, so a Torch 9800 owner, who has come to depend upon it, expects that a newer, more glorious OS will continue to provide it. I expect RIM to deal with the software people at BOA, because I don’t know the software people, and let me tell you, BOA doesn’t care about one little customer like me. They care about and listen to large Corporations like Research in Motion.

And guess what? I am thrilled today. I have been busy loading up some apps that I found available through a more indirect route. Amazon MP3 and Photobucket were still showing as unavailable on my own device in the my world section of app world were now available when I logged into BB app world online from my PC and went to my world. I hooked up my Torch to my computer, and I could download them from there, as well as a few more. That was good news. That’s the kind of information I expected to find out about here, rather than the BlackBerry fan board where I usually post.

But, it’s been fun, hasn’t it? Bon appétit!