Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Bob_WA
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Vodafone

9810 won't work with Vodafone?

Oddest problem:   Bought a new Torch 9810 (on eBay).  It doesn't work with my Vodafone sim card.  Top of main screen says "Initialisation failed" and there are no signal bars.  The same sim card still works perfectly with Vodafone in my old 9800, as it has done for the last two years.  And my friend's Telstra and Optus sim cards both work perfectly in my new 9810.

Has anyone ever come across this problem, or any ideas about it?

I did obtain an unlock code for the 9810 handset, but have not been able to use it yet because the dialogue box to enter it isn't there, but that is a separate issue and won't matter if the Vodafone problem is solved.

I did a "factory reset" on the 9810, and it works with my home wifi.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 9810 won't work with Vodafone?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given what you describe, my first suspicion is that the specific 9810 you bought does not have an internal radio that is compatible with the Vodafone network. You need to check the Help > About screens to see for sure that the "bands" indicated are the same on it as on a different BB that does work fine on Vodafone. You also may want to contact Vodafone and walk through with them the specifications of this exact 9810 in comparison to their network.

FYI...the MEP unlock code sounds, from your description, to be irrelevant now...in order to "work perfectly" on Telstra and Optus (as you say it did), then it must already be MEP unlocked.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bob_WA
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thank you sdgardne, that might be a good point.  The phone frequencies published in advertising of this 9810 handset are:

GSM, GSM 850, HSDPA 2100, GSM 1800, UMTS, GSM 1900, HSDPA, GSM 900, WCDMA, HSDPA 850, HSDPA 1900.

Can't find frequencies listed in the handset itself but when I look into Options / Device / Device Versions  there is a list which reads

3G Bands 1,2,8     [in the working 9800]

and

3G/H+ Bands 1,2,5,6     [in the 9810]

Would these "Band" numbers be somehow related to frequencies or channels?  My internet search on this topic didn't find anything like what the phone shows.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yup...from that, I'd deduce that the 9810 indeed is not compatible with the Vodafone network, since it uses different bands than the 9800 does. There is nothing you can do to change this...this is the hardware, which OS/software cannot change.

To validate even more certainly, you need to talk to Vodafone.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.