If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
tsh15625
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: India

Re: 9860 - Back and BB Buttons Stop Responding.... SOS

I have a request to the blackberry team. Please provide dockable touch icons at the bottom of the screen for call, menu, back and end button  in the next release if you guys have no clue how to fix it.  Many of my friends are having similar issues but they do not write it in the forums.  Save blackberry....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jaguar89
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

Hi to tsh..

I posted the same issue this week. In the meantime I was on the phone several times with Verizon support and ran through some tests after exhausting  all common tricks like pulling the battery.

1. Hard reset vie "swipe clean" function on the device and the data restore from the desktop softare - no changes - same issues - button sometimes will not respond.

2. Hard reset via "swipe clean" function on the device and NOT restoring the date from the desktop software - while I was on the phone with the VZW rep. he ran a test and I had to dial a number in my 9850 - the phone would not disconnect the call?

Conclusion? There is not really a clear reason why these phones behave this way. Sometimes after a hard rest they will work for a while (couple of hours) and the start having the same problem as before. After my last hard rest without restoring my data it behaved differently but still showed same isues (the return button worked fine but I had to push disconnect several times to end a call). At the end of the day I had a replacement Torch shipped over to me since mine is still under warranty. I guess my next "smart" phone will be another brand - I just can't run around hard resetting my device every day without having any application, user date, calendar, running on my "smart" phone etc. - this turned into a joke.

If your device is still under factory warranty - call and get it replaced.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RaspberryKush
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 9860 - Back and BB Buttons Stop Responding

@Jaguar89

The torch that I got as a replacement for my original device has been running 'great' since march. No back button issue, etc. Now it just freezes up occasionally and reboots when placed on my desk.

The replacement did technically fix the issue, but I have to agree with you. BB10 needs to receive spectacular reviews or I'm switching to te Nexus line.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jaguar89

@RaspberryKush

My torch started freezing up on a regular base. I pulled the battery once a week and it cleared out.

However it never rebooted on me?!?

That all sounds really ridiculous and I really want my prior (4 generations)  BB's back which were not consider a "Smartphone" but they worked flawlessly. 

I think we both will switch to a different brand when it's time to renew the contract - maybe earlier if I run out of patience. My son's DROID works great and my daughters IPhone too - go figure!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tsh15625

Hi Jaguar89,

Thanks for your reply.However my problem is that when I want to reproduce the issue in front of the service engineer, I am not able to do. Hence I had to come back from the service centre. Even if the problem appears it is not stable to show to some one. Really frustrated. My warranty will be over in a month. I will try again. If I do not get a replacement, I will throw it out and will never look back at blackberry in my life.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jaguar89

Hi tsh15635,

I know what you are talking about. The problem recovers sometimes after a minute or two and the buttons work again. It is very hard to show this a technician. However - it all comes down to your carrier's support. Verizon was great in that respect - the technician ran some procedures over the phone with me (hard reset and some call in diagnostic) and while we did this I could not disconnect the test call - button did not work. At this point he was satisfied and sent me a replacement 9850 which I got yesterday – thumbs up for Verizon. So far nor issues and it works like the one I got in January - we will see how long this one will keep working without issues.

You need to - persistently - talk to your carrier / provider to get a replacement phone.

Please use plain text.
shizer
My Carrier: Grameen Phone

Before using the set I have a huge faith about Blackberry , but I am shocked about the BB 9860, its Manu & Return Button dose not working, but BB reseller or manufacturers have no response about this matter.  I am not getting any solution from anywhere. can any one suggest me about its sollution ?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

shizer wrote:

Before using the set I have a huge faith about Blackberry , but I am shocked about the BB 9860, its Manu & Return Button dose not working, but BB reseller or manufacturers have no response about this matter.  I am not getting any solution from anywhere. can any one suggest me about its sollution ?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

As a user-to-user community, no one here can answer your question with any level of authority whatsoever. RIM provides zero front line support to end users, including warranty...all support starts with the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers, all who can escalate cases into RIM at no charge to the end user.

So, your escalation path is not here, in these forums. Rather, it is through your place of purchase...even if they are so far not helping. You have no free path by which to bypass them. You need to escalate with them, insisting on receiving support (that is, of course, assuming you have warranty).

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

There also might be some good reading here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
9860User

Ok Gang, so here's the real bloody deal... i5 is almost out on the street and there are not any issues similar to the ones posted here. I'm in for an upgrade to a new "smart" phone in January and it will happen... but for the next four months, and as former loyal BB Fan, I am gravely disappointed in RIM's response- oh wait, there hasn't been a response- still miffed and wondering why they're letting this giant crumble away to nothing. But anyway, I digress... Your back and BB buttons will continue to work IF (and only if) you touch the back button first before doing anything else once you get it to the point where it starts working for you again. I've tried it all, the "back + send" ... the "settings & test" ... stroking my back button till my thumb ached, and last but not least, stand on my head and hope- and I'll not speak of which one I'm standing on... alas and alack, if you train yourself to touch the back button first, you'll have success 99% of the time. The 1% that I haven't has been because I may have (ooops) touched the track pad first on my way to hit the back key first. RIM, we suffered the Storm, and the Storm 2, and the previous 8 other failed experiments leading up to this one. BB no more friends, Romans and country-men. RIM, your best device keeps kicking my A$$ and I have paid countless $$ trying to save this floundering wildebeest to end it all right here. I promise, I will never own another, and on the day I switch to the next experimental "smart" device from brand X, this one will burn in effigy for the rest of you suffering the same fate. BTW, random thought, RIM Device, no, I think it's been shoved all the way in! Peace out- -9860User

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tsh15625

Alas, I took my device again to the service centre. They finally replaced it with another handset. But I had to wait for two weeks to get the replacement. Now everything work. Only question is how long. This is the second time I am getting the device changed in a span of one year. It is very clear that the buttons used are very cheap quality. It can breakdown after a while. It shows blackberry quality control for harware is very poor. When we press the button we can here the lound rubber tup, tup sound like the buttons on the first generation digital phone. This device is two step forward and then 10 steps backward design.

Will blackberry survive the smart phone competition?. Seems very unlikely. They have not come out with any new phone in the last one year whereas others could release many models. The upcoming bb10 also seems nothing new from the videos... 

tsh

Please use plain text.