Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
JohnF22
My Device: 9860

9860 constantly crashing

What will stop the 9860 from continually crashing (4 or 5 times a day)?....or is this phone just a piece of junk?

Please use plain text.
Developer
joanb
My Device: Z10 + PlayBook 64GB

Re: 9860 constantly crashing

Hi,

May you please add more info to your problem?

Os version?

Have you ever changed the os version?

Can you list the programs installed in you mobile?

Do you receive any error message on screen before/after crashing?

Are you using the original battery?

It is crashing since day 1 when you purchased the device?

What app do you use most?

Does it crash while using an app or just at any time laying on a table?

Does it crash when blocked?

Plase add as much info as possible.

Let's presume it is not a piece of junk...

BES10 administrator for several customers.
"SMPTE Calculator" timecode APP developer for BB10
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

JohnF22 wrote:

What will stop the 9860 from continually crashing (4 or 5 times a day)?....or is this phone just a piece of junk?

The Torch 9860 is by far the best phone I've used in years, so it's definitely NOT a piece of junk.  As joanb requested, post as much as you can about your phone and your issue and someone will find a solution for you.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
joanb

Certainly I agree with Billj the 9860 is the best BB till now for me.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JohnF22
My Device: 9860

Please find the following answers:

Os version?  ............................Where will I find this?

Have you ever changed the os version?...................No

Can you list the programs installed in you mobile?.................Only the standard programmes.  I have not added anything except a British Airways App which I use very occassionally.

Do you receive any error message on screen before/after crashing?.................No.  It just dies.  this morning it completely crashed and lost all contacts, as well as email and text history.

Are you using the original battery?.........................Yes

It is crashing since day 1 when you purchased the device?..................After about 3 or 4 days it started but is getting worse by the day.  I've only had it a couple of weeks.  It dies and re boots when left still on my desk, therefore I don't think it can be a loose battery or connection.

What app do you use most?......................I dont really use apps only email, text and phone.

Does it crash while using an app or just at any time laying on a table?..............When lying on a table, trying to make a call, send a text, in the car - all of these.

Does it crash when blocked?....................When blocked?  What is this?

I hope the above helps and that a cure can be found.  My pateince is starting to wear very thin!

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
joanb

Well, under this scenario it just sounds like an unbeliveble behavior.

I reckon I was expecting an unofficial os plenty of useless app installed from "who knows where"

It seems just a clean Torch 9860 that is malfunctioning to me. I'm sorry it is my only conclusion; it is broken.

Just for the sake of testing you could remove the SDmicro card and the SIM card from the Blackberry and "play around" to check if it still hangs. Perhaps some of these two components is faulty.

I presume you know the microSD is the tiny "thumb-sized" black memory card inserted in the back of the BB after uncovering it.

The SIM is the... well you already know what it is.  :smileywink:

Let me know if you make the test.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I would prescribe a reload of the OS to your phone; that'll give it a fresh start.  If that doesn't do the trick, it would be time to take it back to your carrier for a replacement.

To reload the OS, plug your phone into your PC and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Once your phone has connected, click Device at the top of the software then Restore from the drop-down menu.  Choose the most recent restore point and reload it.

Another thought would be to see if an updated OS is available from your carrier.  To do this, plug your phone in as recommended,  but this time click Device then Update.  If a newer version is offered and you wish to try it, proceed with loading it.  If no newer version is offered, click View Other Versions and pick the one with (Currently Installed) beside it.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.