Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Alerts by category

Is there an app that will allow me to create an alert profile based on the contacts category. There are times I'd like to silence all 'work' contacts among others.

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch / Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Alerts by category

Hi

You can create custom profiles on Blackberry OS 6

To do this

Click on the profile logo at top of you screen (under the date/time banner) as if you was selecting a profile.

You will get a menu with all profiles listed, depending on what profile you are currently on the next changes you make will be saved to that profile.

Then go to 'Change sounds and alerts' (bottom of profile list), go to

Profile Management>Add>Custom Profile>

Here you can name the profile name your profile, and choose ringtone settings for your phone (if you want) also message, IM's, Event and app notifications where you can set your own alerts like vibrate 2,3 times etc. Also visual alerts like LED light up so Work alerts can be a different color to Home alerts.

The next step is to add work contacts into that profile so that then the settings you done in step one will be used for these contacts when you change it to your custom profile.

Repeat steps until you get to 'Change sound and alerts' now press 'Sounds for Contacts' here you can add contacts from your list. The once you have added them you can click them to customise individual alerts for them when recieving phones and messages.

I hope this helps it is a bit long winded process, please repost if you get stuck or need help

Regards

Hiren

New Contributor

I would have to create about 30 - 40 different custom alert profiles for all the different combinations I need. That's why I'm hoping that there is / will be an app that can do profiles by category

New Contributor

Hiren, that won't work.

When you set an alert by contact that alert goes with every profile. If I select a work contact and choose silent for the ring tone, then what ever profile I switch to, that contact remains 'silent'.

Since it is a company phone, there are times when I need to accept calls from workSmiley Sad

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch / Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

Hi mate yeah I was just trailing it thoroughly on my lunch earlier, sorry about that.

P.S. - I will keep an eye out for an APP

Regards

Hiren