Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: torch9860
My Carrier: vodafone

Anyone else had the perpetual reboot cycle problem?

My phone decided to become unresponsive last week. It got stuck in a reboot cycle - this means it went black, then the LED turned red for a second...the blackberry bar scrolled along to completion and then all went black and started it all again. It did this for two days, either with the battery fully charged, or whether it ran itself flat.

I am boring, in that  have no APS on there, I guard it with my life and it hasn't been dropped and I treat it like a Mogwai. I NEVER GET IT WET!

My phone service provider has been making noises such like 'mmmm we might not be able to fix it and you probably got it wet' which I will refute like mad if they try that, but what I would like to do is provide some "evidence" that this is actually quite a common problem back to the phone company. So, how many Blackberry Torch 9860 users (or any Blackberry torch users) have had this problem? Share you story with me, help me 'make' the phone company obey their legal obligation to replace/repair my phone because I haven't caused this problem!

Thank you very much

Xx

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Anyone else had the perpetual reboot cycle problem?

You need to CALL Vodafone tech support and ask for help and that they escalate this issue to RIM's tier two tech support.

Meanwhile, you can do the below yourself...

• Start the device in Safe Mode, per the instructions below.
  • Go to Options > Device > Applications Management and delete all third party applications.
  • Then, reboot your BlackBerry in normal mode.

If the above doesn't work, please post back and tell me WHAT didn't work for you.

Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks J

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my tale of woe....I tried the safe mode thing as suggeted below at home on my own and this didnt do anything. Just kept on looping. I don't have the desktop stuff on the laptop I was using so I couldnt try that, but what I did do was take the phone back to the shop and they did two things.

The first thing they did was the desk top upgrade to the OS on the phone, which meant wiping everything. I had to accept thi through gritted teeth because I hadnt prepared myself for this to happen, I *think* I backup by phone via wifi through Blackberry (I dunno, it does something once a week that I told it to do which looke like backing up to who knows where, sorry - different post entirly that one) but they did that without the SIM or media card in plac because I had stuck that inan old Bold a friend loaned me for the two days my phone was going through its mini breakdown.

Then they claimed it was fixed...and yes, it looked fixed. But soon as I took the battery out to put in the SIM and media card, it did it agin, looe for my benefit and theirs another three times before they conceded that the OS upgrade had done nothing to help.
They umm and ahhed about the SIM and media card for a while too, but they have both worked just fine in the Bold I was using. So they decided it wasn't that, the second thing they did was what they called "an engineer update" which seemed to take longer to do, but didnt sound any different to the first thing they tried.

Bu tthat didnt work either.

That was when they started making all sorts of noises about it must have moisture in there. I was livid with them for that. They offered to send it away for a repair, but made me sign something that said basically if they find mositure in there (hmmm, define moisture someone pelase? when I call someone whilst making a cup of tea, when its in my bag and its raining...when I breathe on the phone...all have the potential to let mositure in because it is not a closed unit)...if they find moisture in there, they have said they can't replace it. Thats kinda why I'm here to gather evidence of the problem. I love my phone. I dont want another one, I want MINE.

But, when they tell me its either fixed and ready for me to collect it - OR they tll me it can't ever be fixed, I will come back and update on what they find. I'd still like to know yur experiences though, have you heard of this problem a lot? a little? never? anything you can say that I can reportback to the phone company that acually is ISNT my fault this happened would be helpful !

Xx

So, in short, you've already handed over your BlackBerry to them and it's gone?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

I have the same problem with the perpetual reboot loop , after downloading an app. I called my provider, Telus, and was basically told that there is probably no solution to my problem. Yep, tried the pull battery out, put battery back in.....the red light comes on, goes off, reboot starts ...white line crawls across the screen....and the process begins again. Telus suggested that , since I am over warranty period, I suck it up and get a new phone. They didn't recommend BB because of a new system coming next year!!! Is there a solution to this problem that you are aware of...or, do I just get a new phone? I am a confirmed BB user and don't want to go to another brand, however, if the other Torch phones are not well developed, do I have a real choice. I do not want to leave BB.

New Contributor

Hey, I was lucky in that being in the UK we have something called The Sale Of Goods Act which is a consumer law protecting consumers. Any item bought needs to be "fit for purpose" in this country and allow consumers to get reaonable expected use from their handsets, and given I had a 24 month contract with my phone company...that was the reasonable length of time I would have argued...I didnt need to because my phone company DID honour their TsandCs and give me a replacement, the contract Ts and Cs stated that the phone must be fixed quickly, if not i get a new phone. The company agreed it would not be fixed quickly (at all, I believe) 

This is a widley document issue with blackberry/research in motion and basically its like being sold a product that WILL fail through no fault of yours. If it was a TV or a car, what would you do? suck it up and get a new one? or make the company suck it up? I would make the company suck it up.....good luck xx

Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks for the input....sometimes I wish my parents hadn't immigrated back in 1957!!! ~smile~ Then I could have some Brit perks....!!

Thank you..I am off to my dealer today and hope they will be be reasonable.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

Hi, this same thing just happened to me yesterday.  Today is day #2, with the same repeating or reboot mode but just cycles through contstantly.  It initially occured when I was updating my apps and then just shut off and started the reboot mode.  I am unable to use it at all.  Bell told me that it was a RIM problem and to contact them and that it would be expensive to send in my phone for repair and said I had other options which was to purchase another phone HA!

I did not drop it, get it wet or wreck my phone in any way.  Let me know if you get your reboot cycle fixed.  I'm new to the help forum and trying to find any similar problems with other users.

Thanks for your post! 

CJ

cjbare6 wrote:

Bell told me that it was a RIM problem and to contact them and that it would be expensive to send in my phone for repair and said I had other options which was to purchase another phone HA!

We can probably help you here.

But first, Bell is full of poop.

Even if it is a RIM problem, Bell provides your front-line initial software and hardware support for the BlackBerry. You are paying Bell for this with your monthly contract and your BlackBerry BIS Data Plan. Don't let Bell snooker you.

Any issue Bell cannot resolve, they are supposed to ESCALATE up to RIM's tier two level of tech support, certainly not to tell you "to call BlackBerry". If they do so, demand a phone number and name of who to call.

Meanwhile, have you installed lately any third party themes or apps?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

I'm so sick of Bell it's not even funny anymore...but don't get me started!  LoL

I am going to check with Bell again after work today and tell them about the tier two tech support and see what happens.  Thanks for your suggestion.   I will certainly let you know how I make out.

Yesterday, I was uploading apps or a theme or something from Blackberry's app site ( can't remember what exactly it was that was uploading...twitter or something I thought would be safe ) and then it shut down and started into the reboot cycle.

I tried to start up safe mode, but I can't even do that.  Just keeps repeating the reboot cycle. :smileysad:

CJ