If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
vikram_bhat_786
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Application Memory running out on Torch 9810, OS 7.1

Hi,

Last couple of weeks with in a day or two, the free Application Memory reaches 10 mb. Restart does free up memory but just for a day. I have below questions -
1. Is there a way to increase Application memory? From other posts it does not seem possible, but thought to ask.
2. How do I find what is stored in App memory? I have over 120 mb that says "Other" in "Application Management" (around 80 mb for app). This 120 mb keeps growing over time. Not sure if I accidently stored anythinh here, but any way is there a way to know what constitutes this "Other"?
3. Is there any tool that can find what app or anything else is causing the memory to increase?
4. Is it possible that some app has lead to this problem or I have saved a video, etc in App memory?

I have always had more than 100 mb free in App memory till last couple of weeks. I have removed all apps that I installed in last couple of weeks, but did not help.

Any help is appreciated... Sorry for the long post, wanted to be as descriptive as possible ;-)

Cheers,
Vikram
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Application Memory running out on Torch 9810, OS 7.1

How much free memory do you have immediately after a reboot?

When I had my 9810 I resolved the memory leak issue by upgrading to OS version 7.1.0.861
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vikram_bhat_786

The OS version on my device is 7.1.0.536. After a reboot, I will have around 65 mb free. The "other" will still be around 120 mb.

Thanks,
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

You have two issues.  First, 65Mb free of Application Memory is not much.  Something is taking up memory.  Did you load any new applications when this started?  Do you use a media card for pictures and videos?

Second, OS's prior to the one I posted have problems with free memory "leaking" down to 0 over a period of time.  How fast depends on how much is free to start with.  I would start with updating your OS with the version in the instructions below:

1. First download the OS for the 9810 from here:  https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=BE1DF9A5D08724971F64A511E24FC904

2. Do a manual backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. You can get BlackBerry Desktop Software here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file from step 1 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Also check the following locations for vendor.xml files and delete any instances of the file:

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

5. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.  Follow the prompts to update the OS to the new version you downloaded.

Once this is done take a look at the free memory.  What is it now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vikram_bhat_786

Thanks John. Yes as far as I remember this started a couple of weeks back and I had installed a couple of apps from app world. Removing those did not help though. I store pics and videos on internal memory. How do I check if any of those got saved on app memory?

I will try your suggestion to upgrade but it might not be before next weekend. Will keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

You can go to the Media app, hit the menu key and go to Explore. Browse the device memory and see what is saved there. I HIGHLY recommend using an SD card for your pictures and videos as the device memory can quickly fill up and then it will take up the same memory that application memory uses.

Update the OS with the instructions below and get a good sized memory card for your media and you should be OK. Once you get the card I recommend moving everything to the card.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vikram_bhat_786

Ok.. I went to Media --> Explore and checked 'Show hidden'. Under //device/appdata/rim/media, I have thumbs124x124.dat and thumbs640x640.dat, with size of 49 and 41 mb respectively. If I google it, it seems might be safe to delete those. Do you know of these files and if these can be deleted? I suspect these may the issue.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

You can delete those. Thumbs.dat files are not usually that big.

That said, you should still update the OS since your memory will still run down to 0 on the OS you're on even if you get the free memory up.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vikram_bhat_786

Hi John, The link you provided for download is for Digicel Group. I am on Vodafone in India. Will the same software work? Or should I download the one specicific to my carrier? Latest package version on the Digicel link is v7.1.0.2364 (Applications: 7.1.0.861) and on the Vodafone India site is v7.1.0.1672 (Applications: 7.1.0.536). Which one should I use?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Use the one from the link I provided. The one you listed on the Vodafone India site is too old and doesn't have the fix in it for the memory leak. OS's are written for the specific device, not the carriers so you are safe. Just make sure you follow the instructions for deleting the vendor.xml file otherwise the OS won't show up in Loader.exe and you won't be able to install it.
Please use plain text.