Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
mike225
My Device: 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Are all Torch 9850's alike?

I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this. 

I'm looking to replace my current BB but really don't want to use my phone credit at the moment.  I've been pretty happy with the performance of my phone but would really like to trial another phone so I'm looking to purchase a used phone.

Question is, I'm on Verizon, if I purchase a phone which was on another carrier (probably a GSM carrier) would it be as simple as downloading the verizon software version in the announcement or are the phones physically different and incompatible between CDMA and GSM carriers?

Any feedback is apprecaited,

Mike

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,890
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Are all Torch 9850's alike?

Mike, all 9850 models are alike.

The problem is the Verizon REQUIRES only devices branded to them on their network.

And, the Verizon network is CDMA, so is Sprint, but the previous requirement applies.

Operators such as Tmobile and ATT or GSM networks, and the devices are not compatible.

I'd suggest holding until February for a new BB10 device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mike225

Thanks,

So it has to be a Verizon one and not just flashed with the verizon version here.  Guess I'll have to look up what all goes into branding, other than the normal bloatware.

I'd like to hold out til Feb but honestly there really isn't any questions of mine being answered about BB10.  I'm not an Apple user so I really don't hang on some companies promise of better next version.

The reason I'm looking toward used instead of new is simply I touched the playbook and almost switched to Android.  Played with it at Office Depot three times and got stuck into a menu and had to just about shut it down to get out.  Being a Storm/Storm2 person I really wasn't happy.

My Storm2 is getting a bit "glitchy" lately and I noticed this Torch which seems simliar.  I honestly don't expect a whole lot out of a phone, don't run many apps (because the Storm taught me I couldn't)

Would be great if websites (like BB's own) looked nice and actually worked on the phone, maybe a little flash so that Icould visit Collegehumor instead of waiting for someone to push them to Youtube. 

I appreciate your time,

Mike

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I had the 9530 (and 9550, 95520, 9500 Storms) and really liked them, worked well, even with many apps, around 25-30 apps if I recall correctly. So there is absolutely no reason your 9530 can't run several apps (not ALL at the same time, mind you, but yes, several).

You can't flash a Sprint phone to be a Verizon device. Verizon just won't allow other branded devices on their network. And other Tmo and ATT device do not have the same network bands as Verizon runs on.

The 9850 is a great step ahead of the 9530 (mind you the 9530 getting a bit old anyway, a 9550 Storm is even a big step up), but the 9850 just truly is a great device. Been on mine for well over a year now.

Re: the Playbook you encountered: I have three. They are great devices, never "stick" or whatever. Or rarely. I can count on my one hand the number of times I've seen that. Your display unit likely was in some demo mode.

For your mobile website for BlackBerry, try mobile.blackberry.com

There is no flash for most any smartphones. The PlayBook does Flash well.

I'd really say just buy a used a Verizon branded 9850 for now. And do consider the coming BB10 devices. You will be amazed.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mike225

Thanks, I'll keep it to Verizon items.

See if I can pick up something used and keep my phone credit for later if the BB10 turns out as nice as they seem to think

Mike

Please use plain text.
JSanders

What state are you located in?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
LCromwell
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

I had the 9530,then the 9550 and they were both free with my VZW contract. By the way I have been with VZW 10 yrs now and had been a NOKIA user. My first intro to smartphone was the BB Storm. It had its problems,then the 9550 like night and day over the 9530,so when the 9850 came out I actually paid vzw money for it. I think this is the best phone ever. Since I had an early one there does seem to be some hardware problem that shows up after the 1 year warranty. So if there is a way to find the mfg date try and get a later production one. VZW finally came thru for me after 18 hrs and 3 days with RIM Tech support saying there was a hardware problem and they sent me a refurbished one. All is working as before. This phone is everything the Storms were not. Good luck,there are plenty on eBay. Just be careful.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Please use plain text.