Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: Vodacom

BB 9810 turned into a brick

[ Edited ]

I have been trying to do a back-up of my device, but since upgrading to the latest desktop manager, it doesn't even recognise my device. I first only had a problem with internal memory not loading properly, now it catches errors (uncaught exception: Index 6>=6 anduncaught exception java.lang.nullpointerexception) when restarting my device, making it impossible to get into any of my files. How do I wipe it, without making a backup of anything,plus reinstall it alltogether? I have OS 7

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9810 (Torch 2)
My Carrier: MTS RUS

Re: BB 9810 turned into a brick

Download the latest software for your phone and BlackBerry Desktop Software (in case you don't have it) from this link: http://us.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/desktop-and-device-download-sites.html (choose your carrier and your model).

Connect your BlackBerry with a cable to a USB port on your computer and wait for drivers to install. Pull and reinsert battery to also install drivers for boot-up sequence.

Open command prompt by typing 'cmd' in your start menu. when 'command prompt' pops up in search results, right click it and choose 'run as administrator'.

a black window with a white prompt opens. type the following:

cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\appLoader" 
(if that command fails, then you have a 64-bit version of windows and have to type as follows)
cd "\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\appLoader"

del vendor.xml loader.exe /nojvm

A loader window will pop up. Wait till it shows your phone's PIN, then follow the prompts, choose what languages you need and what programs you want.

Make sure you have all vital info backed up, because your phone will be just like it came from the factory after this procedure.

Contributor

I can't get it to even do any backup and it says there is ann update for my device, but it doesn't connect to my device, even though it does find it

Contributor

This is what I am getting in the cmd pop up after typing what y9ou said in there....

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\appLoader
'\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\windows\system32>

Contributor

[ Edited ]

should be:

cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader"

(note the 'cd' part and don't forget the quotes) Smiley Happy

Just copy and paste the whole line. That is, if you have a 32-bit version of Windows. For 64-bit versions, the line should be: 

cd "\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader"

You can try both commands, one will work and the other one won't break anything. 

Next:

del vendor.xml

This is not necessary if your phone and firmware come from the same network, but might help just in case. Won't hurt either.

Finally:

apploader.exe /nojvm

apploader.exe is the program to load the new software into the phone. /nojvm means "boot-level" flashing, without trying to connect to Java Virtual Machine in the phone's OS, since the OS is not workign properly in our case.

Contributor

Ugh, now windows doesn't recognise my device either and this is what I get in  the prompt box...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
"

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader>del vendor.xml

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader>apploader.exe /nojvm
'apploader.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader>

Contributor

Looks like you didn't download and install the latest softeare for your phone from the link I provided a couple posts above.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

By software you mean the latest update for desktop manager? That I indeed did. Oops busy downloading the latest OS, thought it was just the desktop manager. I am pretty dumb with these things 

Contributor

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesnt recognise it?

Contributor

Standard advice: Try a different cable, different USB port or - ultimately - a different computer. If you're on desktop, try USB ports on the back of the computer. Also if you are using any hubs, extension cables, etc., get rid of them.