Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
PamMK
My Device: Torch 9800

BB Messenger Icon gone since installing 'WhatsApp

Hi, can anyone help me here, I regularly communicate with my daughter abroad with BBM.  I installed 'WhatApp in order to communicate with the rest of my family who have not got Blackberry phones.

Today I went to message my daughter and couldn't find my BBM icon on my phone, what's more all the precious messages my daughter has sent me have gone as I cannot access BBM.  Does anyone know a way of getting BBM back? I would gladly take the other app off my phone.

This has really upset me.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: BB Messenger Icon gone since installing 'WhatsApp

Installing Whatsapp did not remove the BBM icon. Something else did. Was there anything else that happened or that you did to the device when the icon disappeared?

Make sure the icon is not hidden. From the home screen hit the menu key and select "show all". Then look through all your folders and screens.

Another method of getting to BBM (if it's still actually installed) is to turn on keyboard shortcuts. From the home screen hit the menu key and select Options. Then at the top change Launch by Typing to "Application Shortcuts." Then from the homescreen press the N key.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
PamMK

Re: BB Messenger Icon gone since installing 'Watchstrap

Hi John, thank you for your message, I should have waited for a reply.  In my haste and panic I re-installed a BBM upgrade and it asked me where I wanted to copy my contacts list from (e-mail/ the device/ media card) I hadn't got a clue so I rang O2 and spoke to someone there who said to use my e-mail contacts.  I now have BBM back on my phone but sadly I have lost all of the precious messages that my daughter had sent me.  Thank you for replying to my posting.  Pam

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: BB Messenger Icon gone since installing 'Watchstrap

Conversations are never saved unless you enable chat history.

Open BBM and then hit the menu key and go to Options. Scroll down to "Save Chat History" and select "Media Card" (assuming you have a media card--if you don't have one I suggest getting one.) Now your chat history will be saved on the media card and when you start a new chat with a contact it will have a link that asks if you want to view chat history.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
PamMK

Hi John, now you are really think I am stupid (if it helps, I am nearly 60 but am quite techno savvy :smileyhappy: ).  What do you mean by a Media Card?  Is this an external device card is this in the BB?  I am anxious to save any future messages.  Thanks Pam

Guru I
John_Clark

Its a microSD card that goes in a slot below the battery. If you remove the back you should see the slot for it without even removing the battery. If you don't have one you can save these histories on the device memory but I recommend a media card.
New Contributor
PamMK

Thanks, I will have to get one.  Do you think the messages will have been saved to the device memory anyway,and if so how do I access them?  Pam

Guru I
John_Clark

Did you check the option that I specified above?

Go to BBM. Hit the menu key and select "Options."

Scroll down to "Save Chat History."

What is that set to currently (or what WAS it set to.) That determines if anything was saved.

If it WAS saved, then when you start a new convo with that contact there will be a link at the top of the convo that you can click to see chat history. If the link isn't there then the chat history doesn't exist.
New Contributor
PamMK

Hi John, I checked and it looks like there was a media card in it (do they usually come with a media card from new)?  I also checked and it said 'never save' under 'save history chat' so I am guessing the chats were not saved to either the device or the media card, I have since checked 'save to media card' so hopefully all messages will now be saved.  However,  all the messages that were sent by either myself  or my daughter were always displayed on the screen and I could scroll through them to messages that had been sent months ago.  Pam