Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

BB Messenger won't work without a Wi Fi connection

Have noticed that I'm unable to send / receive messages unless I'm connected to a Wi Fi network.  I was in Singapore last week and the only way I could use messenger was to use my laptop as a hotspot using Connectify ad yes I did have data roaming enabled but I get exactly the same problem back here in Scotland, if I send a msg I get the 'pending' icon and nothing happens.  I have spoken to my service provider today (Vodafone UK) and they said all the required features are in place, the settings at their end look correct and that I should post something here.  This is really annoying as it's the main reason I bought a Blackberry!!

many thanks in advance

Max

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB Messenger won't work without a Wi Fi connection

Max, on your Torch, upper right of the screen, what is the signal indicator state? 3G? EDGE? or?

Do you see the small BlackBerry logo symbol there also?

When you are NOT connected to a WiFi roter, look at the Manage Connections screen, and then click on Services Status. What is the status of the "BlackBerry Internet Services"?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Currently the status indicator is gprs and yes the Blackberry symbol is there, have just turned off Wi Fi and get the pending..clock symbol when I try and send a msg.  I've only had the Blackberry 3 weeks and it did work initially using the phone network but now seems to rely upon WiFi to work.  Blackberry internet service is listed as mobile network

maxmax759 wrote:

Currently the status indicator is gprs

"gprs" or "GPRS"

For now, do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner:

With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescirbed for most gltiches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

After a reboot if it still doesn't work, do the following:

Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table > Press Blackberry Menu Key > Register Now.

New Contributor

Thanks for all your help-really appreciated!

Max

My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange UK

HUUUUGE thanks for this info, mine was the same and it was driving me nuts. U guys n gals rock :-D
My Device: Blackberry curve 9300
My Carrier: Giffgaff

I've got a 9300 and my bbm won't work I brought my BB add on today and giffgaff say its fine but it keeps saying I need wifi which I don't have I have the 3g sign and BB sign in top right corner I've tryed re booting and routing thing it still don't work pleaseeee help thank u

Djoffkee wrote:
I've got a 9300 and my bbm won't work I brought my BB add on today and giffgaff say its fine but it keeps saying I need wifi which I don't have I have the 3g sign and BB sign in top right corner I've tryed re booting and routing thing it still don't work pleaseeee help thank u

Have you performed a reboot?

Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescribed for most glitches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: Pelephone

Hello there, I hope anyone sees this.

I'm having exactly the same problem. Already tried changing every setting there is to change, talked to my provider, rebooted by removing the battery, etc.

I also tried solving this through HRT, but registration doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing something wrong I don't even know how it is supposed to work. I don't know what to do anymore.

I'd like to know if ther'e any other way to try and solve this.