Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Movistar

BB Protect not working

Hi guys,

Long story, short.

I've backed up my Torch 9800 in the past, sent it to tech support and when I got it back I couldn;t restore my previous backups from BB Protect.  I've noticed the Client ID has changed. BBP website shows the previous one, while the phone shows a new one. Since this change, my backups are not synchronized. I'm seeing different backups on the cellphone than BBP website. Seems I can;t get back my previous backups and, instead, I'm creating new ones.

Does anyone knows how to either match my client IDs in order to get on the cellphone the same as I'm seeing on the BBP website, or update BBP website with my new client id?

Thanks in advance!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Protect not working

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

"Client ID"? I am not quite sure if I am interpreting you correctly...if your mean BB ID, then it would seem that while your device was in for service, they wiped it clean and associated it to a different BB ID. To reverse that and re-associate it with your BB ID (and thereby regain access to your BB Protect backups), you need to wipe it again and then log into your BB ID:

• KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

Thanks for the quick turnaround, but my problem is with my CLIENT ID, If you go to BBProtect on your cellphone, press the menu button, select tech support info option (sorry if I'm not accurate, my cellphone is not in english), but it's the second option from the top. In there you'll find a lot of info (client version, OS info, etc), and there's a CLIENT ID number (8 digits in my case) down there. THAT number has changed, and since then I'm backing up with BBP app, but I'm not able to see those backups on BBP website, instead, I still see the old backups, which are the ones that I want to get back, since the new backups are empty.

Weird, isn't it?

Hall of Famer II

Hmmm...still having to guess (BB10 BB Protect, which is what I have, is totally different from legacy). Is Client ID perhaps the same as BB PIN? For, if that has changed, then what they have done is returned to you a different physical device.

So, you are using the same BB ID as before on your BB? From what you say, I think that's the case (since you see the old backups). What, exactly, happens when you attempt to restore from one of those old backups? It's a little bit difficult to understand what you actually are seeing on your screen(s)...

Let's ignore backing up right now and focus solely on restoring.

Also, when you signed into your BBID on your device, you would have (if this indeed is a different device) been asked a question about switching devices or something similar...how did you answer that question? Answered one way, one has access to their old data for the new device. Answered the other way, and all of their old data is permanently lost.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates

[ Edited ]

First of all, thanks a lot for trying to help me out on this matter.

To straighten things out... the device has NOT changed. My BB PIN is still the same (letters and numbers). Client ID is something I've figured out after going into BBP website. If I go to BBP website and go into options - - > Support Information I see:

Protected Devices: Model Client ID PIN
9800 22295991

Removed

That client ID is the one I USED TO HAVE matching my cellphone, not it has changed on my cellphone but not on BBP website. My phone says client id 34931520. Does this helps any? Thanks in advance!

Mod Edit: Removed personal information to comply with Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use.

Hall of Famer II

Nope. I've never heard of ClientID before, and can find no references to it in the Public KBs. So I'm stumped. You should probably recontact whoever serviced it.

And, fyi, I highly recommend AGAINST depending solely on BB Protect for backup. It is fine as a component of a good backup process, but IMHO by no means should it be considered the sole component.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates

Thanks a lot for your help, I think I'll keep diggin for some more info.