Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
_gracebeth_
My Device: BB Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

BB Torch data

SO...I just bought a used BB Torch unlocked and everything is fine except things like the FB app. I can access FB and anyting else really, through my browser but not with the app. My sim is from my 3G enabled GoPhone.

I've seen similar posts, but I would like to get some recent answers.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB Torch data

Any app that pushes updates to your phone, including the facebook app, requires BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) from your carrier.  This is sometimes simply called "a BlackBerry data plan".  Do you have BIS from AT&T?  Keep in mind that a generic data plan, while useful for every other brand of smartphone, will not work with your BlackBerry.

Please confirm if you have BIS.  If so, we can look at other options.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
_gracebeth_

I don't have BIS. The BB was AT&T and my sim is from my last GoPhone (an LG) which is also AT&T

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

[ Edited ]

No matter what SIM card you put in it, without BIS you can't use the facebook app.  RIM's push technology requires BIS in order for your phone to know how to access it.  You can still browse the site on your browser but you won't get any updates pushed to your phone.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
_gracebeth_

How do I get BIS? Do I need a new SIM? And if so, does it end up being on-contract?

Sorry, I'm usually tech savy, but BB is just so **bleep** comfusing!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

BlackBerry devices only seem confusing because they work differently than every other brand of smartphone. Data travels through RIM's servers where it's compressed before going to your phone. A BlackBerry phone will typically use about one-third the amount of data of other brands.

I don't know if BIS is available as pay-as-you-go or not, you'd have to call AT&T to find out for sure.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.