Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
SeonBB
My Device: Blackberry 9860

BBM and Blackberry ID

Hi all,

I need some help.

I lost my BB9860 that was running on OS 7.1, then i did a secutity wipe on the blackberry protect website.

I found the phone later the same day, but when i logged into BBM using my BBID none of my contacts wrere there. They all dissapeard. Note i was using OS 7 when the phone was lost and wiped.

Please help

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: BBM and Blackberry ID

Hi SeonBB

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Which version of BBM are you using before you wiped your device via BlackBerry Protect ? 

If you are having BBM7 then once you login with your BlackBerry ID your Contacts will be restored back , because this newer version of BBM does not allow local backup but contacts are stored with our BlackBerry ID.

But if you were having previous version then those version allow local backup like backup on a media card or backup using any email address. But if you were doing backup on a media card  then I fear your contact list also wipe when you initiated a wipe on your device via BlackBerry Protect .Check this Knowledge Base and see if that help :

KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
SeonBB

Thanks. I was using BBM7 before the wipe, but strangely when I logged in back the contact list was empty.

Before I upgraded to Os7 2 months ago I was backing up by email and on the memory card. The memory card was wiped to. Will I get the contacts back if I downgrade and log in using the same email? Where is the file stored when I back up by email on the older is?
New Contributor
SeonBB

Older OS*
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

SeonBB wrote:

Before I upgraded to Os7 2 months ago I was backing up by email and on the memory card. The memory card was wiped to. Will I get the contacts back if I downgrade and log in using the same email? Where is the file stored when I back up by email on the older is?

Hey SeonBB

Are you using a new BlackBerry ID / Username now ? If it is then it then you contact will not restore because those BBM Contact are stored with our BlackBerry ID if you are using BBM7. If you are using the same BlackBerry ID as before then On your Homescreen go to Options > Device > BlackBerry ID > Press Menu key > Check for updates , see if your BlackBerry ID software update and after update restore your Contacts.

OR

On your Homescreen Go to Options > Device Application Management > Locate and delete BlackBerry Messenger from there. After deleting do a Battery Pull Restart like this device POWERED ON remove the battery wait a min. then re-insert it back . After reboot from your BlackBerry Browser browse to  http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=bbm6 to download BBM6.2 , which allow local backup / restore option and after installing this version restore your Contact from the email that you used backup of your BBM contacts.

Once your BBM Contacts are restored you can update to BBM7 , for that again from your BlackBerry browser browse to www.blackberry.com/bbm and download it. It will solve your issue.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.