Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Regular Contributor
msd1962
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

BBM and Mail service works on WiFi without data connection while Roaming

I am currently on a holiday outside my country and have deactivated my Data Service as it would otherwise cost me a bomb. To my pleasant surprise....my BBM and Email services are working over the WiFi connection provided by the hotel....In fact, my son who does not have even international roaming activated on his Torch 9810 is thrilled to see his BBM woking.....

This is Great......

Anyone has any idea whether it use to be the case even earlier???? As I did not try it earlier.....

If RIM has provided this feature.....Great Job RIM....Thanx

New Contributor
lendrema
My Device: BB 9550

Re: BBM and Mail service works on WiFi without data connection while Roaming

however, I am not able to activate that specific feature on my STORM 9550. Anyone can assist me on this ? Thanks in advance

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

This is VERY new.  Only today did I find out about using Wi-Fi without Data Services, but it was with OS 7.1 and I assumed it was a feature of that OS only.

I'm looking around to see what else I can find out about this feature.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

This is likely because your BIS service is still active but the carrier blocked your Internet access since it's just a temporary block.

If you were to cancel your service and they deactivated your BIS account you would likely lose access.

As BillJ suggests, however, recently things have changed to where some apps like Twitter, Facebook, and AppWorld will connect via wifi only with no data plan at all. This only works with newer versions of these apps, though. BBM and email are still not accessibie without a BIS plan, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Elite II
BillJ

[ Edited ]

John_Clark wrote:
BBM and email are still not accessibie with a BIS plan, though.

Sorry, John, did you mean they are not accessible WITHOUT a BIS plan?  I'll have to refute that statement with the BBM because earlier today I was able to send a broadcast BBM to many members and I did so using Wi-Fi with my Data Services set to OFF.  I have BIS on my SIM card but my Data was not turned on.

Being able to access certain apps via Wi-Fi alone is still quite new to us and it'll take some more exploring before we can fully understand what is and isn't accessible by what channels.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

That is what I meant...thanks for the correction.

There is a difference between turning off the data services and still being able to use BBM and not having a BIS plan on the device at all. 

Some apps are now able to be used over wifi alone with no BIS plan but BBM and BIS email are not included. 

A device with no sim card will be able to use Facebook, Twitter, and AppWorld over wifi, however, email and BBM will still not work. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
msd1962
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

However, Facebook App does not work unless you have active data service on your handset....Twitter, Linkedin are working fine over WiFi connection.....

In any case one can go thru browser to access FB account.

It is obvious that you need to have active BIS account in your home country to get the benefit of BBM and Email Service on WiFi when internationally roaming......I don't imagine someone buying BB device just as any other handset anyways...But if there are some I am not sure whether someone has tried PIN message?

Has anyone used PIN message without BBM setting?

Elite II
BillJ

@John_Clark, thank you for the clarification.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
heatseeker007
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9600

Hey Guys,

Well you can use Facebook, Twitter and other apps using Wifi even though you do not have an active BIS Subscription. Also this is possible only in the OS 7.1. Hope this clarifies :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Alan

Guru I
John_Clark

It's actually available in all the OS versions, not just 7.1. You do have to have the latest versions of those apps, though.