Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
nevi234
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Go Mobile

Battery is draining quickly

Hello,

I have Blackberry Torch 9810 and I have recently upgraded my phone to the updated OS 7.0 Bundle 2406.  After this update, the mobile battery is longing approximately for one day only. 

Any suggestions or settings so that I can extend the life of the battery?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Battery is draining quickly

Properly closing apps (Menu key > Close or Exit) and not allowing active browser pages to run in the background are the best battery saving measures.

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life
And here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Community-Post/Power-Saving-Tips-for-your-BlackBer...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
tobiaskcooper
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

You are not the only one, my coworker and I both have torches that are updated to the most recent for at&t V6 2647 SW and they had been working fine until about a week or two ago. The average battery life I would see is about a week and now it will not go more than 3 days on a charge. I have no new apps but I have updated all of the BB SW that has come up like the recent App store update and so on. I think it is one of the updates but I do not think that it is from the 2406 since I have had that for a while now and only recently noticed the quick death. I think BB needs to look into their SW. 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

tobiaskcooper wrote:

The average battery life I would see is about a week and now it will not go more than 3 days on a charge.

Whoa! A week?

Three days is actually asking a great deal if you use the device -- even light use.

Were you getting a week of battery use before the upgrade two weeks ago?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
tobiaskcooper
My Device: Torch

Yes, I would charge it on Sunday and only have to charge it again on Saturday and unplug it again for the next week. I have it set for push mail, I never use Bluetooth or WiFi, and I only use it for calls every once in a while. It is a work phone so other than about 200+ emails and a few hours of internet music a week while I am in town and those same 200+ emails, a few hours of internet music, 15 or so 5 minute calls and some internet browsing while I am out of town it has always lasted that long until just a few weeks back. Unless of course I am in a bad reception area and then you can throw that all out of the window, I would be lucky if I last a day!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CYarborough
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: ATT

I would love to get a full day out of my current battery.  I would replace it, but other forum comments have led me to believe its a software issue.  RIM says its a hardware issue, ATT says upgrade phone.  My phone goes from 99+% and is down to 65% in three hours.  Then the magic starts:  the phone gets hot and the battery drains to <10% within a few minutes.  I have turned off WIFI, gotten rid of older apps cannot figure out how to fix this issue.  I have to pull the battery to cool it off.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
donb
My Device: Z10

a week?  i've never gotten over three days, ever.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
lilheathen77
My Device: Torch 9810

ok, first the battery life of the Torch 9810 can be extended after chraging with a few simple things. The battery is drained through the extensive use that the phone endures. But what you can try is alleviate, in a way, the activities the phone must perform. 

Such as, dim the screen to the lowest setting you feel comfortable with, if the phone is on vibrate simply silence it or place it on the medium profile. For vibrate makes the phone spend more power. If you are in an area where you have low cell phone signal but great WI-FI reception turn your cell phone signal off and utilize the WI-FI because the phone's constant search for cellphone signal greatly reduces the battery life. Another tip would be don't use phone while the phone is plugged in for this may damage the battery. Make sure to close out of each application; press and hold the "menu" key to see what applications you might have open. If previously used the web browser on the phone make sure to completely close your pages to save battery life. 

Follow these steps and they should assist you in acquiring a full day of use for your battery. Have an awesome day!

Please use plain text.