Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9810

BlackBerry OS 7.1 with Mobile HotSpot Capability

[ Edited ]

Hello. 

My boss and I just bought two BlackBerry Torch 9810's under the impression that these phones had the ability to use the phone as a mobile HotSpot.  At this point it appears that this function should be availble in BlackBerry OS 7.1.  As far as I can see Sprint has just released this update about 3 days ago. 

Can someone please tell me when this update will be available through BlackBerry?

I really need to know when this will be available for ATT Wireless, as that is our current provider. 

My boss is already planning on taking his BlackBerry back to ATT within his 30 day period so he can get a Droid that already has this function if we can't get some reassurance that this option is indeed going to become available and soon.

I on the other hand, have had my phone for two months, but would rather have a BlackBerry over a Droid any day, but I did have the expectation that I could use the phone as a HotSpot or at least tether over WiFi, or else I may have sucked it up and gotten a Droid (even though I prefer BlackBerry).  :-(

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: BlackBerry OS 7.1 with Mobile HotSpot Capability

As usual, ATT is very slow to update their OS's for any phone. Unfortunately, they won't release the dates at which they will release them. Part of the problem, I think, is that they want to put the updates to the toughest tests they can find, AND figure a way to be able to make you pay for it. Such as possibly charging an extra fee for the hotspot capability. But unlike the smaller carriers that regularly release updates, ATT is a large machine that needs to protect it's reputation for "service". They will make sure the update is ready for release before they let it loose. The last thing they want is to have millions of people complaining about an OS update and have to release a fix. Which is why it can take so long. They might be ready to let one go, and then problems arise with that package. They will wait until THAT fix is released and start all over with testing. 

The rumors that were out weeks ago had it released by now, and as you can see, that didn't happen. You CAN install another carriers version if you like- plenty of info out there on how to do it.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have heard of some using OS 7.1 with wifi already, just make sure you have a dataplan that supports it or there might be charges you didnt expect to pay for.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Don't get that Droid!  OS 7.1 with Wi-Fi hotspot capability is definitely going to be coming around to BlackBerry, so hang in there.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30 10.2.1.2991; PlayBook 64 GB OS 2.1.0.1753

VZW charges for HotSpot use separately, so watch out on that point.

Also, OS 7.1 kills my Supra eKey app, so any real estate agents should not undate until Supra fixes their app.

I need to roll back to previous OS - can anyone point me in the right direction. I thought my previous full backup would do it, but it didn't?

We're all out here together...
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

remove OS 7 from add remove programs and then

Manual device OS upgrade instructions:

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. Get DM here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

5. This step is not needed unless there is an issue on next steps. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to step 6

6. remove internet connection to PC and reboot PC.

7. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.

8. if you did Step 5, restore from back up. Follow this KB if needed http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

Enjoy the new OS.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Trusted Contributor

Thanks... almost missed it.

...small print at botton of download page for link to downgrade OS...

Much appreciated

Guru III
My Device:

welcome, let us know how your progress

Trusted Contributor

Back to functionality - did not have to do step 5.

Could not have done it from BB/vzw software page (lacks downgrade directs)

Of course, lots of registering/setup to do for Apps.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Guru III
My Device:

glad to hear you are doing better

yeah app registration isnt fun, but piraters are out there to make our lives miserable.