Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Airtel Nigeria

Blackberry 9800 blank screen

My newly purchased Blackberry 9800 has just gone blank. I'm so sure it's not a battery problem because I have tried other batteries. It just happened abruptly. There was no physical damage to the device. The device, fully charged has been on, and when I tried making a call later in the day, I found a blank screen. When I did a hard reset, the screen remained blank with the indicator light beaming red for a few seconds, and then flashes red light four times at rhythmic interval. Please, what is the issue and how can it be quickly resolved?
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Blackberry 9800 blank screen

Hi don7g,

Do you have access to a computer with the BlackBerry® Desktop Software installed? If so, is the BlackBerry® Desktop Software able to connect with your BlackBerry® smartphone?

If it is, please try to back up your data using the BlackBerry® Desktop Software and perform a clean reload of your BlackBerry® Device Software.
For further instructions, please see the following KB articles.
For Windows® "How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software for Windows" http://bbry.lv/GI9beY
For Mac "Perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer" http://bbry.lv/J0UN1U
Please test to make sure the issue has been resolved before restoring any data from your backup file.

If the BlackBerry® Desktop Software is unable to connect with your BlackBerry® smartphone, I would advise trying to force a detection by starting a BlackBerry® Device Software reload without your battery inserted. For further steps, please see the following KB articles:
For Windows® : "How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader" http://bbry.lv/IAfXWd
For Mac: "Unable to application load a BlackBerry smartphone showing JVM 507 or JVM 513 using BlackBerry Desktop Software" http://bbry.lv/J0V8BH

Please note that the last process will remove all data from your BlackBerry® smartphone.
Since it is not detected by your computer, you will not be able to backup your data first. If you have a previously taken backup file, you can restore your data from that backup.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thank you very much for the technical support. Since the BlackBerry® Desktop Software is unable to connect with the BlackBerry® smartphone, I tried to force a detection by starting a BlackBerry® Device Software reload without the battery inserted by following the steps provided. But the issues seems worse off than just that. I got the following message:-

"There was an error updating your software

A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again."

Please, what can be done to salvage this brand new Blackberry 9800 smartphone. Thank you as I anticipate your reply.

Retired

Hey don7g,

I would advise first trying the steps in this KB article. "Unable to connect to the BlackBerry smartphone during a multistage loading operation" http://bbry.lv/K4Gk5Z

If you are still unable to connect to reload the BlackBerry® Device Software, at what point in the software reload attempt do you receive this message?

If its after you reinsert the battery, please try the steps to force detection again, however, but only re-insert the battery once the BlackBerry® Device Software reload has reached the Reconnecting to JVM stage.

If the error occurs before you reinsert the battery, please try reinserting the battery once the screen shows Connecting to ARM.
Please note: These processes will remove all data from your BlackBerry® smartphone. 

Hope this helps.

-FS

New Contributor

Thank you for the technical advise. I have followed the steps in the KB article but the challenge still persists. I am still unable to connect the BlackBerry 9800 device to my computer using the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

When I click on "CONNECT TO DEVICE", I get the following message:-

BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device.

If the device is rebooting or has a dead battery, click Retry to attempt to reconnect once the device reboots.

If clicking Retry doesn't connect the device, or the device isn't rebooting with a charged battery, you might need to update your BlackBerry Device Software to correct the problem.

Troubleshoot your device connection

Clicking on "UPDATE" brings out the following message:-

Checking for BlackBerry Device Software Updates.

Please wait...

..after which the following message quickly appear on the screen:-

There was an error updating your software

A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again

What could be the cause of this issue? What exactly can be done to resolve it?

Thank you.

Retired

Hi don7g,

Since the previous troubleshooting steps have not resolved the issue and allowed a reload of the BlackBerry® Device Software, I would advise contacting your point of sale for other available options.

Thanks.

-FS

New Contributor

Thank you very much. I appreciate your efforts.