Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Vernon27
My Device: 9850
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Desktop Software has stopped working

Blackberry Torch 9850 on the Verizon Wireless Network
Blackberry OS: 7.1 Bundle 1737 (v 7.1.0.580, Platform 5.1.0.429)
Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 with a full admin account
HP Desktop computer

For some unknown reason whenever I attempt to execute Blackberry Desktop Software version 7.1 the application returns the following error: "Blackberry Desktop Software has stopped working: A problem caused the program and notify you if a solution is available." The last successful use of DM was on Sunday, October 7, 2012 when I synched my phone and did a backup of the device.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the application; uninstalled Microsoft .Net Framework version 3.5 and 4.0 then re-installed .Net Framework; then re-installed DM under a new admin account and still getting the same problem. I even went as far as uninstalling Office and re-installing office and still getting the same problem. Whenever I uninstalled DM I did a manual uninstall where I removed all registry keys associated with Research in Motion including folders and still getting the same problem. I Googled the error and the articles worth reading I have already the things they mentioned.

NOTE: I have done a lot more troubleshooting that is listed. But since I did so much to get this to work it will take me an entire novel to list all the things I have done to get this app to work again.

Called VZW and they got me in contact with RIM. RIM did pretty much the same things I did and after spending 7 hours on the phone with them they concluded I need to reformat my drive. When the tech made that suggested I wanted to reach thru the phone and knock her teach out of her mouth. Suffice to say I am not able to get DM to work on my machine and there appears to be no apparent reason why the software will stop working. Not having DM working means I cannot synch my phone. I have one personal computer and I am not going to install DM on my laptop because it will do me no good since I need to synch it with Outlook which is on my personal desktop. I cannot install my personal copy of office on my work laptop because it will probably cause other issues.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can get this application working on my desktop. It was working before and all of a sudden it stopped working. :Censored:

Vernon
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software has stopped working

Hello...and apologies for the delayed reply!

Hopefully you already have this resolved...but just in case.

It seems you have already done all that I normally suggest in this thread:

The recommendation the tech gave you is truly drastic, but I have seen it from time to time...I've no idea why, but it's just so. PCs remain, after all, "open systems", and are subject to all kinds of bad behavior by apps which can interfere with other apps. But, they also remain notoriously difficult to troubleshoot in that regard...hence, starting over is often a good idea. Reminds me of Windows98 on laptops...I recall them needing reformat/reinstall about once every 6 months...that's just the way it was.

In any event, there is also, in that thread, a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Vernon27

Hello,

Since the writing of the original e-mail I have furiously complained to VZW and they "upgraded" me to a new Droid phone. I will NEVER go back to a Blackberry. The synch software that I use with the Droid works like a charm. Surfice to say I have sent several letters to RIM and they have not replied. I am now happy with my Droid and and have had NO ISSUES with the device or it's software. 

Vernon
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Thank you for posting the update...as a user-to-user community, the knowledge base only grows by the efforts of the posters.

I, too, have a Droid in addition to my BB...they are quite different, neither one being perfect. There are trade offs we all make in life, and we each reach our own conclusion as to which aspects best meet our personal decision criteria. I'm glad that VZW took care of you...it is their responsibility to do so, after all (as per the contractual arrangements that ALL parties are bound to).

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Vernon27

Thanks for the reply. I have found the Droid to be a lot easier to use and there are so many more apps, etc. But either way I loved my BB and had many years with it. Maybe in future I will consider coming back but for now I have moved on.  How do u like ur Droid compared to your BB?

Vernon
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

For my needs, I find them relatively equal...neither better than the other. They are quite different, but I judge them to be relatively equal all things considered.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Vernon27

I wonder if BB 10 will be the game changer for BB
Vernon
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hopefully so.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
bb_j
My Device: Z10

I get the same error when installing DM 7.1.  My OS is Windows 7 Professional, and I have .Net 4.0.30319.

AT&T Z10 (v10.1.0.2019)
New Contributor
Vernon27

I wish you the best of luck in finding a resolution. As you can see frommy previous posts RIM was of little help in resolving the issue so I decided to move to an Android device.

Vernon