Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
Stovebolt
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Software and Vista

Hey all! So I got my torch today, and I read that you should upgrade the old desktop to the new 6.0.1 operating system. So, I back up my old 8900, and click on the link to update to the new system. It takes me to the Blackberry update page, and when I click on the "download" button, my "Bit Comet" opens, and it starts to download. It gets to 100%, and I open the file, which starts to "unzip", and then proceeds to the setup window.

All seems wonderful.

The thing finishes and says "would you like to start Blackberry desktop when finishing the download?" I click "yes" and the beautiful blackberry icon pops up. then I wait........and about 30 seconds goes by, and I get a new window saying "BLACKBERRY DESKTOP SOFTWARE has stopped working" And below that "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." WTF!?! I'm still waiting.

I went to the control panel, and deleted the program and re-installed it 3 times now.

Anybody heard of this?

HELP!!!

Thanks for your time, folks.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Software and Vista

Bit Comet?  You lost me there.

Why don't you do one more "clean" uninstall of Desktop Manager using the instructions here, then download the Desktop Manager from RIM here?

Let us know how it goes!

Also, once you get DM installed, use the Switch Device Wizard, but since you're going from your old 8900 to the 9800, you'll want to exclude themes and 3rd party apps, which will not be compatible with OS 6 on the 9800.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.