Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
glamm
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Torch 9800 Constantly shutting off, will not stay on

I want to apologize in advance if this question has been asked before, I tried looking for a solution for this issue, but I can't seem to find the right answer. 

Today, after a whole day of using my phone normally & without issue my phone shut itself off. I didn't think much of it, so I just turned it back on. After doing that I noticed it couldn't quite load all the way through the Blackerry Startup Screen. I initially attributed it a low battery, because it had been dying. Now that I am home and I have plugged my phone into charge the real issue is starting to show itself. 

Everytime it tries to turn on, it  attempts to load through the Blackberry Startup Screen, sometimes it gets fully loaded, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesnt, it turns itself off and restarts this whole process again. If it does get through the Startup Screen, I can get to my home screen but after a couple of seconds it shuts off again. 

I did a battery pull, even removed my SIN card for a few minutes - no change. I thought I could reload the software and restore the whole thing, but it won't even stay on long enough for me to check any settings on it.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I am hoping my phone is not completely dead.

Device info

Carrier: Rogers (AT&T)

Model info and OS version: Blackberry 9800, Blackberry OS 6

Apps installed: Twitter, Dropbox, Facebook, Wordsearch, Hangman

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Torch 9800 Constantly shutting off, will not stay on

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
glamm

Thank you so much for the speedy reply! 

I have had my blackberry plugged in for two hours now, and I just looked at it and it seems to be working fine (maybe I was freaking out for nothing?). Do you reccommend I just use it as is, or continue with the battery pull & recharging it again for two hours?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi again -- sorry I've been AFK for a bit...I actually do recommend completing that 4h15m complete process. The battery pull can be quite healthy, and may also reveal a flaw that is initially not visible.

Good luck, and you are most welcome!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
glamm

Did, it worked like a charm. Thanks so much :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
courtneymalah
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: tesco o2

Hi. when you say leave for another 2 hours do you mean put it on charge for 2 hours again?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

courtneymalah wrote:

Hi. when you say leave for another 2 hours do you mean put it on charge for 2 hours again?

Hello,

Specifically, this is what it means:

• "note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger"

Since the second 2 hour portion is within the 4h15m window, then the BB would never have yet been removed from the charger at all until the entire 4h15m time has elapsed.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
courtneymalah
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: tesco o2

Still doesnt work,.rubbish!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Did you try the second half? The battery test? Like most technology items, batteries do not last forever...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.