Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9680
My Carrier: Vodafone

Blackberry Torch 9860 - A Big Loss !

I am the sorry owner of a Blackberry Torch 9860. The device worked for about 14 months, and then wouldn't boot. The authorized Blackberry Service Centre at Mumbai, India kept the phone for a month, and then replaced the phone free of cost stating that "There was a problem in the motherboard and could not be repaired. Since this was within the warranty period of 18 months, the phone was being replaced free of cost". The 'new' phone has quit after about six months of use. The same authorized service centre, has responded stating that again, the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced. But this time, since the warranty period is over (measured as 18 months from the initial purchase), I am being asked to commit approximately Rs. 12500 (about 60% of the original phone cost) for motherboard replacement. They are unresponsive to the fact that this new phone replacement by Blackberry, has failed in a period of just six months. I am shocked at the fact that a premium brand such as Blackberry produces such defective products. Are they not responsible for remedying their defects ?!!! 

Solutions: 6,118
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Torch 9860 - A Big Loss !

Yea, that's not good.

Unfortunately, the service center is run by an independent company, and this forum as you know is a peer-to-peer (user) support forum and there is nothing which we can do either.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Also, I notice you have your phone number listed in your profile. It is unwise to post your phone number there for all the Internet world to see and possibly harvest for spam use. At the top of the page click on My Settings and go to personal information and remove your phone number.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply. Can you guide me to the right place to raise this concern. There has to be some way to reach out to BB with this inconsistent business practice. Surprisingly, their 'contact us' website link, asks consumers to go to the service centres / authorized dealers for complaints. 

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Your issue is with your place of purchase.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: vodaphone

hi, 

i m having the same problem with my BB 9860....i was having problem intitially with keys and was repaired in the warranty period and almost working of 6 months suddenly phone stops getting charged.... i had send it to BB support station on the first attempt they are charging INR 600 only for exmining the phone and after they raise estimat of INR 17000 which is almost 70 % cost of Phone.........i beleive that there is problem in basic design of th phone which got fail after a period of 15 to 18 months of use..... 

can anybody suggest me if such probem occurs then if BB is ready to accpet the things given some discounts on repairs or you have simly switch from BB to others.....

New Contributor

There is definitely a problem with the handset design, that BB is unwilling to address / remedy. Few of us were fooled into buying this 2 years ago, when they launched it. 

Send me your coordinates and I will be happy to share the documentation I have made and addressed to BB. Their services centres are unresponsive, and I am doing all I can to ensure there are adequate attempts from my end, to pursue this, post which I will launch a complaint at the Consumer Courts in India. There are multiple instances ot remedies provided to aggrieved customers such as ourselves. Time to put BB to book for their misdeeds with the 9860

Guru I

Give me a break! 

I have a 9860 here that I've had for a year (it was generously given to me by @sdgardne ,) and he used it for a year (at least) before that.  It works perfect!  My 11 year old used (and abused) it for 6 months before running into an issue with our provider (T-Mobile US) with an unlocked device from another carrier.  It's a service provider issue and not a device issue so we moved over to the TMobile-branded 9810 instead. 

There is nothing wrong with the 9860 and never was.  Could there be a problem with an individual device here and there?  Of course.  Devices get exposed to all kinds of different environments (moisture, drops, etc.)   But to say there is a systemic problem with the 9860 is just plain false.  Now, if you were talking about the Storm series (95xx) devices then, although I know quite a few people who had no issues with theirs, there were some major flaws with that device. 

New Contributor

Good to hear you had an acceptable experience with the 9860 that worked for 2 yrs +. I accept the fact that a phone fails here and there, only when the Company owns up their folly for those stray cases. Draw attention to the fact that the Company replaced my phone with a brand new 9860 which failed in plain six months... no scratches, moisture and randomness that you allude to. All we are asking is for remediation... Honestly have no interest in labelling BB either way... good or bad. There are doing all they can to ensure limited existence in a few years in any case. 

Guru I

BlackBerry warrants the device through authorized place of purchase (usually your wireless service provider) for one year. If you go beyond that or purchase from another retailer your warranty may not be valid. That's just how it is. I don't work for BB so there is nothing I can do either way. I'm just stating how it works.

I was merely countering your statement that "there is definitely a problem with the handset design" by letting you know that assertion is false.