Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
ilovenoonebuthim
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Re: Blackberry Torch Buttons Stop Working

i have the same problem only that, My camera kept going off taking random pictures then i went to telus got a download and it has done it once so far then this morning it went to my password as it does after its been inactive for an hour and this time i cannot use the keys to type in my password. And it wont let me use the keys on the touch screen....

I have restarted it god knows how much and it still wont do anything 

HELP?!?!

New Contributor
killerbuzz
My Device: 9800

the same exact problem and I'm not using any case .. it happens everytime i leave the phone over night and i recieve a missed call .. and when in try to check the phone all the buttons are not responding .. i pull the battery and everything starts working .. it looks like a software problem I'm using the latest software from Vodafone .. i just wiped the phone completely and reloaded the OS .. I will see if this will work.

Note .. this is my second torch and right now I'm considering going back to my old 9780 which was the best .. never had any stupid problems like what I'm having with the Torch .. hopefully the wipe and the reload will solve the problem.

New Contributor
umdballer52
My Device: Torch 9800

I have the same problem and I can only narrow it down to the Otter case as well. But I don't notice the heat as the issue exactly. I literally I will put the case on and the keys will stop working. I am thinking it has something to do with the pressure it puts on the phone in one place or another. I have no idea. My phone works fine after I pull the battery and don't put on the Otter case any more. But I've looked at the Otter case reviews and no one else has reported that problem. It gets all 4 and 5 of 5 stars all the time. Why don't other people have problems with it?

Jfactor
My Device: BB Torch 9800

A Temp. Solution @ Re: Blackberry Torch Buttons Stop Working

Have had my Torch 9800 for over 10 months now. Been using a BB Storm Holster ever since beginning. Only since last month It has this same problem as reported by many other users. All the buttons stopped working just out of nowhere, including the screen lock & mute button at top. Only scroll works on the trackpad and no click there too. Anyone i talked to, told me that it is a hardware problem.

Like most people here, I have tried wiping, deleting all apps, reloding OS, restoring to earlier state etc, but nothing helped a single bit.

Now, just recently I stumbled upon this :  with the screen ON, when i put the phone inside holster and then press the screen lock button and then take the phone out, the buttons start working fine.(sometimes i have to repeat the step 2 times). They keep working as long as i keep typing. A few seconds of leaving the buttons idle takes it back to the sick state and buttons dont work again.

I wanted to share this with everyone here so that they can try the same on their phones and see if it helps. and also i think this behaviour signals towards a software bug rather than a hardware issue. Suggestions welcomed.

New Contributor
umdballer52

This was 100% my phone case. I got a new one and now it's completely fine. No problems. I had the Otter case.

illuminatijs
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I have had my Torch for quite a few months. It was working fine apart from some lag where it always seems to be downloading something!! Now on a regular basis, all physical buttons stop working and only the screen works. A reset usually puts it right, though sometimes I need to reset it more than once for it to start working. I use no holster any more so that certainly is not the cause. Last thing I did was upgrade BB AppWorld (and a terrible fall to the floor as well!!). Could this be the cause?? I wonder!! This is very frusrating for i really liked the Torch but all this is now changing my opinion. I hope I manage to find some solution or maybe someone out there helps out in this **bleep** problem.

New Contributor
ismitariq
My Device: torch

i recently bought a torch and same happens with me.I have no other choice left other than removing the battery after every few minz and gettin scolded by my dad for not picking up HIS CALL lol!!!THERE YOU GO RIM

calebw
My Device: Torch

How to fix it!

This worked for my PDAir torch case.

The problem is that the case is pressing the buttons on the top of the phone while the lid magnet is activating/deactivating the torch. Just bend out the case where it grips the top to make sure it's not pressing on the button and it works fine. Well it has for me.

Caleb
New Contributor
GDunc

I have used an Otterbox for just over a year as I got it pretty much the same time I bought my phone. As of 2 days ago my call 'send', call 'end', and cursor click feature have intermittently stopped working. Everything else works and nothing I know of brought this on. I have done resets, OS reloads, everything I can think of. I will now try without the Otterbox but I feel this will not be a fix. Does anyone know of a direct hardware or software fault surrounding the buttons not working? Does anyone from RIM have a statement to make regarding this?
New Contributor
kianiann
My Device: 9800 torch

"w" button on my torch 9800 never worked since i bought it . about 3 days.dunno what to do

Persian Gulf...Forever