Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
malloriemae
My Device: torch
My Carrier: at&t

Blackberry Torch Stuck during update on Backup

I've seen a bunch of posts about this but unfortunately none that can help me. So here it is. I'm updating from my phone, not plugged in to my computer. It frozen on the backup portion of the update, stuck on 15% for hours. I pulled the battery a few times (yeah I know, real good for it) and everytime it starts up its still on this screen. A lot of people are saying to plug it into your computer to solve this problem. I cannot do that, I am at work and we can't do all the stuff on the work computer so any use of a computer to fix this is not an option. But I need to get this phone working again, now, today. What can I do?

Thanks so much in advance

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Torch Stuck during update on Backup

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

(Credit JSanders)

I cannot quite tell what you have already been recommended to try, but there are but these two methods of recovery for you to try:

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

I understand that you say you cannot use a PC...unfortunately, I fear that will be the only method that actually can recover from this situation. On-device wireless OS updates are the most risky method, IMHO, and should never be done. The wireless update takes an on-device backup of the user data, from which it restores after the update succeeds. But, if anything goes wrong with the update, then that backup is lost forever...along with the users data. The PC/USB method of updating allows the user to take a backup to their PC, which can be forever preserved and used in the case of catastrophic failure of the update process.

Further, there simply are some things that just cannot be done to fix things without a PC...and I fear you are in exactly such a situation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
malloriemae

Okay... you clearly didnt read my post. I CANNOT CONNECT BY BLACKBERRY TO A COMPUTER AT THIS TIME. I need another way to fix this issue. It states that clearly in my post.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
malloriemae

Okay... you clearly didnt read my post. I CANNOT CONNECT MY BLACKBERRY TO A COMPUTER AT THIS TIME. I need another way to fix this issue. It states that clearly in my post.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

And, equally clearly, you did not read mine...for I said "I understand that you say you cannot use a PC". And I further said "there simply are some things that just cannot be done to fix things without a PC...and I fear you are in exactly such a situation."

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
malloriemae

Yes I actually did. Why would you post about how to do it with a PC when I clearly said i cannot. Just don't reply to my question then. It was useless.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

a) If you can (and I believe you must) get the use of a PC, it is not useless

b) Your original post gave no hint about what you may have already read about

c) As a user-to-user community (not a "help desk"), other folks may find your post as a similar situation to their own, and may have access to a PC, and therefore may benefit from the information

Good luck with finding what does not exist.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
malloriemae

Like i said. Unfortunately. I have no access to a computer I can do that on at this time. Thus the point of the post. And I said in the original post that other threads I have read suggest plugging it into a computer which i cannot do.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Then you are stuck; from the symptoms you report, that is the only method that can work in your situation. None other exist.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.