Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Blackberry Torch and WiFi - authentication failures

My problem with a D-Link DIR-815 is that I get a lot of authentication failures before it deigns to connect. Using WPA2 and the same CORRECT key each time...

It seems like it's related to signal strength. After turning down the transmit power on the router down to 12.5%, and connecting from the bathroom or bedroom where signal strength is -50dbm or less, the number of connection attempts required is lower.

Turning Wi-Fi off and on again sometimes helps too.

I live in an apartment where I can see some 30+ wireless networks from my laptop, so there's a lot of activity going on.

Strangely once connected it almost never fails and gets a decent transfer rate at 802.11n.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry Torch and WiFi

I use a Netgear range max WPN824

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I recently acquired a Blackberry Torch 9800 on Vodafone but found that when I tried to browse over my home Wi-Fi the connection (Talktalk) kept dropping out. “Unable to connect to server”

The Blackberry Wi-Fi diagnostics showed that it was recognising my router and the VPN but the Blackberry infrastructure section at the bottom showed when I had lost my connection. (I’m not sure what “Blackberry infrastructure” signifies – I assume it must be at the other end rather than at my end)

Router = Netgear 834N

Wi=Fi secured by WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] and MAC addresses of our various gadgets.

(Note that the BT MAC address shown on the Blackberry box was incorrect in its last digit. Find out how to check it here.) http://www.technipages.com/blackberry-bold-find-mac-address.html

In the Wireless setting section of the Netgear SmartWizard there are 3 mode options: g&b, up to 130Mbps, up to 270Mbps

I slowed the router down from the original 270Mbps to 130Mbps and suddenly the Blackberry is browsing happily.

Hope this helps. No doubt individual models vary slightly, but it may be that routers are generally too fast for Blackberrys

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You have to choose 2.4 ghz for the torch as it dont support 5 ghz.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Thanks knottyrope

I'm sure you are right - but I have no idea what that means.

Is that a setting on my router or on my Blackberry?

Regards

onemoretoforget

Guru III
My Device:

You changed it by changing the speed.

Some routers dont name it the same way.

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch

Try this.

Option>Networks and Connections>Wi-Fi Network.  It will open a list of "open networks", but SCROLL DOWN to where it says ""saved wi-fi networks". Click on that. You will see a list of net works you have already signed on to. Highlight BUT DO NOT CLICK on the network you want to fix.  Hit the MENU button (the one with the little dots next to your scroll pad) and click on "Option".  You can enable "prompt me when a saved hotspot iss found nearby" and then back out of that screen (SAVE!). Hope this helps