Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Regular Contributor
sonixceb
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Blackberry Torch and WiFi

Does anyone know how I can set my Torch to prompt me to connect to a saved or unsaved WiFi connection?  On my previous device (Bold 9000) there was an option to set the individually saved WiFi connections to prompt me to connect or not.  I don't see it on the Torch and when I am near one, like a cradle point that has no aircard attached to it, I get the cradle point screen error to install one and then I cannot get to the internet.  I want to be able to choose if I want to connect and not just automatically connect.  Please advize.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
donb2
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Blackberry Torch and WiFi

go to Set Up Wi-Fi, then select options .

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sonixceb

I did and there isn't an option like there is on the Bold (my old phone).

Please use plain text.
ordnorth
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Go to new wi-fi setup, then down at bottom click on Saved Wi-Fi Network, then for each you can delete, disable auto login, etc....

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sonixceb

Unless I am blind, I don't see a 'new wifi setup' option other than when you go into wifi settings and then click the menu button there is an option to view saved wifi spots, but within there, on each one, there isn't an option for automatic logon (I only see 'automatically get an IP address and DNS name').  I don't see an option for automatic logon.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sonixceb

Ok here is what I would like to see happen on the Torch 9800 for WiFi options:

1.  When creating a wifi hotspot and saving it, there should be an option to prompt you if you want to connect to that saved wifi configuration if you are near it.

2. A way to make one of my saved configurations the PRIMARY configuration to use.

3. A way that the Torch will automatically switch from wifi to Cell Service if the wifi hotspot isn't working.  I kept attaching to a wifi configured hotspot I had saved on my Torch (a cradlepoint for an aircard that isn't installed), but could never get past the cradlepoint home screen.  On my previous device, the Bold 9000, I could get past that because then the cell service would kick in and take over since the wifi hotspot wouldn't work. 

Can someone please take these ideas back to BB and maybe get them to be added in a future OS release?  It is a shame that my Bold had more options than the Torch, a new and updated device.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
CrypticAzn
My Device: BB Torch 9800 v6.0, Bundle 2647 / BB Desktop Mgr v6.1.0.35 (bundle 34)

[ Edited ]

My responses to your list is:

1. I am always prompted as to whether I want to connect to a saved hotspot/wifi.

2. I have my home wifi set as primary, with work as second, and a few others following that.

3. If wifi sucks or is lacking, my Torch uses the network/data instead, unless that too, is lacking (like when it's an SOS only signal or weaker).

What I'm basically saying is that the Torch DOES have these features/settings available.

A quick way to get to these settings is to use the touchscreen and tap on the clock area at the top of the screen.  The settings screen will appear.  You should have "Mobile Network" checked, and "WiFi" checked.

Go down near the bottom to "Setup Wifi Network". After a few seconds of searching, it should list networks nearby. Go to the bottom of this screen and click on the "Saved Wifi Networks" button.

If you have any saved networks, they should be listed here.

In this screen, you can either press the BB menu button to the left of the trackpad, or you can point and hold the touchscreen while having a saved network selected.  After a few seconds, a menu should popup.  From there, you can choose to "move" the selection up/down your list of saved networks in order of preference.  (1st one in the list is the first one it will try to connect to IF it's nearby, and so on.)

To make the Torch prompt you, while in this "Saved Wifi Networks" screen, press the BB menu button to the left of the trackpad, then choose "Options."  Mark the checkbox that says, "Prompt me when a saved hotspot is found nearby."  Make sure to save your changes, and that ought to do it.

~^~ CrypticAzn ~^~
- Pls. click on the LIKE button of this post if I was able to help you in some way. Thanks!
- If I've helped resolve your issue, don't forget to go to the top-right of this post and click on "OPTIONS > ACCEPTED SOLUTION". Thanks!
- See my profile for helpful links!
Please use plain text.
brn2rnjk1
My Device: Not Specified

What about making it prefer wifi to 3g when on network without turning 3g off? Or does it generally prefer wifi if connected to wifi?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kmreece
My Device: Not Specified

Is there a way to find the IP Address on my Torch when I am connected to a Wi-Fi network

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sammydj
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, simply log into your router by entering the following into ur browser url (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) if those don't work there are a few other variations just check online. Once into the router software the IP will be easily found associated to your bbpin. 

Myself i have found another issue. I can connect to my home WiFi with no problem, however, i have time and time again received timeout after timeout. I am only a few meters away from my router (D-LINK N300) so i find it hard to believe it's line of sight etc. I'm wondering if it's an oddball setting on the router or perhaps i have a faulty chip in my new torch. Anyone with any insight?

Please use plain text.