Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
GucciFree
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Torch unable to access apps

Hi peeps - wonder if anyone has any ideas.  I have a Blackberry Torch and live in the and work for an airline so am out of the country all of the time.  When I am in the USA I log onto a wiffi connection and am unable to access Facebook, Twitter, the Weather Channel and many other apps. I can access everything using my ipad - but I dont want to have to take my ipad out of the hotels when going to coffee shops etc where wifi is available. Hasanyone else had problems :smileyfrustrated: 

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Blackberry Torch unable to access apps

All of these apps require BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) on your account in order to access them, even if you're using Wi-Fi.  BlackBerry phones work differently than other devices in that the data travels through RIM's servers to be compressed before it's shot off to your phone.  In order to have the data travel this channel and get pushed to your phone, you require BIS on your account.  Apple products don't compress their data (which means you'll use about three times as much on them) and that's why you can access these apps from you iPad.

I hope that clears things up for you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.