Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
lucksak
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Torch will not reboot

A few days ago I lose my charger my Torch (the USB cable adapter) I borrowed a friends charger for his storm figuring that it would still work until I found my cable. The phone seemed to charge normally as I say the lightning bolt symbol over the indicator and I could see the bar starting to fill up. I left the phone to charge for a bit and when I came back it was at the blackberry loading screen. The phone will now get to about 50% done this screen shut off and display a red light. After a few seconds the red light goes away and the loading screen pops up again. I have tried pulling the battery a couple times. Is the phone just really dead? Or does it need a new battery? Will a reboot fix it any help its greatly appreciated.

PS: The phone is only about a month old

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,906
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Torch will not reboot

lucksak, try this first, before getting a new battery:

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage). If it doesn't reboot on the first attempt, leave it several more hours. I've had one charge for two days before it came back to life after an extreme battery depletion. Every 3-4 hours, with the device still connected to the charger, you can remove and replace the battery to see if it reboots.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lucksak

The phone does turn on for a few seconds each cycle but it never gets passed the loading screen its been plugged for about 2 hours now. I also took it to a bell store (my provider) to get it looked at they told me before they could do anything it needs to be updated, the problem is my computer will not recognize it saying that the phone is trying to reboot.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lucksak

Worked great thanks so much.... finally got my phone back.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

You are very welcome.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

I realize this is an old thread but the topic is timeless.

I have an unlocked Torch 9800 that I received from RIM as a contest prize.  The sticker in the battery compartment has a logo for a company called "Sutel".  My device is stuck in a reboot loop and when I try the steps from JSanders to run loader.exe I indeed get the error message about not having the device software.  The problem is that I don't see Sutel listed as a carrier on the page to download the OS image.

The only thing I did "wrong" to cause the reboot loop was to install a Reuters app from App World on the device.  When I got to the post install screen where it asked if I wanted to grant permissions to the app, I tapped "Yes" and from there it was a descent into reboot hell.  I would rather not wipe and reinstall since I don't know for sure what's the correct OS image for this device.  Does the "desktop does not have BB device software" error message really for sure mean that the device is bricked and must be wiped and reinstalled?

BTW I tried the safe boot procedure several times, including a couple times after having left the battery out for several minutes, to no avail.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

UberschallSamsara wrote:

BTW I tried the safe boot procedure several times, including a couple times after having left the battery out for several minutes, to no avail.

To no avail... what happened? Was booting in Safe Mode successful and you couldn't find the app in question to delete?

Or the device would not boot in safe mode?

Or you couldn't get the safe mode sequence correct?

For the process above, not having the device OS installed on your PC will fail the process. Don't worry about getting the Sutel-released software, get the 9800 OS software from any mobile provider and then delete the vendor.xml after installation.

Here is 6.0.0.706 OS release from Bell in Canada. 

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=6C3CF77D52820CD0FE646D38BC21...

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Yeah "to no avail" wasn't very specific.

I tried two variations of the safe boot procedure based on various forum posts around the web.  First variation: I reinserted the battery, waited for the red LED to turn off, and then held down the back/escape button while the white boot progress bar animation ran.  Second variation:  I removed the battery & held down back/escape while I reinserted the battery, and kept it held down during the entire boot progress bar animation.  In both cases the boot progress bar gets about 2/3 of the way done and the device reboots itself (red LED lights, and boot sequence restarts).   So I am never able to get to safe mode.

Is there some other alternative safe boot procedure?

I don't get what you mean by having the device OS "installed" on my PC.  Do you just mean downloaded in some place where the launcher utility can find it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

An update:  I discovered that the forum posts I was following did not have the exact correct safe boot sequence.  According to RIM's knowledge base article, for BBOS 6 specifically I need to wait until *after* the loading bar animation is displayed before I press and hold the escape key.  However, I tried this variation as well and the device still reboots itself at about the 2/3 mark on the loading bar animation.  I never get any beeps to prompt me to release the escape key nor does the loading bar animation ever complete.

Please use plain text.