Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Virgin

Blackberry Torch won't unlock

Hi, My blackberry torch physical keyboard has stopped working. The touchscreen works fine, however as I had a password set on the phone I cant unlock it  i was wondering if there was anyway round this, by being able to use a touch screen keyboard. Any help would be much appreciated 

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Torch won't unlock

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You should be able to use your touch screen keyboard to enter your password. You of course must be extra careful depending on the content of the password (caps, num, sym, etc.), but there should be no reason you can't use the touch keyboard to enter the password. Unless I'm not understanding something about your situation?

Let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I don't know how to get the touch screen keyboard up, do you know how? Thanks for your help its much appreciated
Hall of Famer II

Well now I'm thoroughly confused...in your first post, you said...

MattCapon8 wrote:

The touchscreen works fine

How can you make that statement if you don't know how to access your touch screen? Maybe you could start over and provide the exact and complete symptoms you are seeing? Also, which exact model do you have...there are several "Torch" devices with a physical keyboard...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Yeah the touchscreen works fine as in I can select 'unlock cancel emergency call' through the touch screen. However when I click unlock the touch screen keypad does not appear. Blackberry Torch 9800
Hall of Famer II

Slider open or closed? If open, close it. The virtual keyboard for the password should appear as long as the slider is closed.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

The slider is closed and it still doesn't appear :s
Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

Hmmm...well it's supposed to. Not to be picky, but did you cycle it all the way with the slider closed? As in, get it to re-prompt for the three options, then select Unlock, all with the slider already closed?

If so, then the next thing I'd suggest is a battery pull. Leave the slider closed and remove the battery. Wait 5 minutes. Put the battery back in. Keep the slider closed throughout the entire process, including getting the 3 prompts again.

Hopefully you already have the internal setting checked for activating the virtual keyboard on slider closed...I don't know if not having that selected would cause this and force the password to only work via the physical keyboard. Let me re-launch my simulator while you do the batt-pull and check that out.

Edit...in the simulator, even if I have the setting about presenting the virtual keyboard when the slider is closed un-checked, the virtual keyboard nevertheless presents for the password when the slider is closed...so that's not it.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
New Contributor

Just tried the battery pull and I kept the slider closed the whole time but the keyboard has still not appeared....

Hall of Famer II

Then all I can guess is that something about the sensor that determines the open/closed state of the slider is having a problem and not sensing that the slider is closed. That is, then, physical hardware, which needs a qualified hardware technician to diagnose and really can't be diagnosed at an internet distance.

Do you already have a good backup somewhere? If not, then please review and conduct things in this:

You should be able to type your password on the PC keyboard, but be very careful with it. As you know, caps, num, and sym all require special usage on the BB keyboard, and you must result via the PC keyboard in exactly the same characters (not just merely the keys pressed on the BB keyboard). If it fails after the first try, consider being even more careful on the second try. But whatever you do, don't consume all of your attempts -- if you've already tried on your BB keyboard, then that already counts against your attempt limit...and the same counter applies when using the PC keyboard.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates