Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
paisleysasha
My Device: torch 98100

Blackberry frozen during software update?

Hi all,

Ive had my blackberry for about 18 months, its been running slow recently and ive been getting pop ups about the new software update that needs to be done via the internet off the blackberry website, os 7.1, i think..

anyway, so i plug my phone into my laptop and download the update, however, its been stuck on backing up 'purged messages (44 out of 68 items) for ages! im pretty sure its froozen because theres no way it can still be doing the same thing after this long..

my phone screen only displays a computer image and a blackberry logo as its plugged into my laptop, but as the update is stuck i really dont know what to do?!

shall i just unplug it and hope for the best?

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry frozen during software update?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I've never seen one get stuck at that point...but anything is possible. You should try waiting it out...some have reported an overnight "wait" being adequate to allow it to normally complete.

If you can't wait for that, then it should be OK to disconnect now...given that it's stuck in the backup process, that should not harm anything (backup being a "read" from the BB process, as opposed to the "write" processes of actually updating the OS). You will want to reboot everything (PC, BB) before attempting again.

If it continues to get stuck there, you might want to conduct a manual backup first and see if that can complete.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
corabko
My Device: Torch 9860

Mine stuck on social feeds when doing the update back process. I waited overnight still nothing did a hard reset and the process automatically started again and then froze again. So what do I do now as can't cancel it

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

corabko wrote:

Mine stuck on social feeds when doing the update back process. I waited overnight still nothing did a hard reset and the process automatically started again and then froze again. So what do I do now as can't cancel it

Hello,

Getting stuck at that point is completely different that the specific topic of this thread...your situation is covered by this KB:

• KB29522 "Error backing up databases" message is generated at Smart Card Options database when backing up the BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
paisleysasha
My Device: torch 98100

Hi guys, thanks for the replys! :smileyhappy:

turns out i disconnected it and nothing happened, just went back to how it was before.. not yet tried to do another as i havent had the time, but hopefully it should be fine

thanks again :smileyhappy: