Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Tim1141
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Telstra

Blackberry no help at all

I have a torch 9850 which I bought in Hong Kong while I was working there to replace my 9500 which was OK but not as good as the new one. In Australia my provider is Telstra and I just need someone to fix it.

Last week the phone showed a JVM error 545 which I looked up and seems to be not an unusual occurrence. However I am not terribly confident in technicalities and I contacted the RIM local number for help. The person emailed some software instructions etcetc and advised that I should go to my service provider for repairs if that did not resolve the issue. This I have done but Telstra say that as the phone (which they are quite happy to take my money to connect to their network) was not bought through them in Australia they will not service it; regardless of whether I was happy to pay or not.

So now I have RIM saying go to Telstra and Telstra saying go to RIM and meanwhile I have no Blackberry service. This is really not good enough: surely you contract Telstra (and other service providers) to service your hardware as RIM do not seem to have any local service agents other than the service providers.

As a global company whose products are used by customers who travel all over the world surely there should be a corresponding global service support. Not so it seems in Australia.

Please can you advise what I am to do: this is my 4th Blackberry and I am (or at was least up to now) a strong supporter of the B’Brand; and have been waiting eagerly for the promised new model: which I could be buying wherever I happen to be working at the time. But if I cannot get support when I am working in Australia through your contracted service providers, I may be better off with the latest Samsung (i-Phone never!) who I have coincidently been working with in Korea this year.

Because there does not seem to be any Blackberry service businesses in Australia other than the ones which won't deal with me I shall probably try and find a shop front service person, who I fear will probably stuff the phone up completely.

Talk about frustrated with these hours of wasted time: the very thing that my Blackberry is supposed to solve: I am now thouroughly cheesed off  !!

Tim

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Blackberry no help at all

Unfortunately, all warranty service on your device is through the carrier from which you purchased the device.  When you leave a carrier and move the device to another carrier the new carrier can't/won't warranty the device.  It leaves you in limbo for warranty service.  

The only way to get service from RIM is to pay on a per-case basis.  1-800-BLK-BERRY

This particular forum is not an official support channel and is merely a peer-to-peer support community where users help other users.  

On that note, why not just try reloading the OS?  It's not that difficult.  You will need BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed on your computer.  You can get it from www.blackberry.com/desktop

Here is a step by step:

1. Remove the battery from the back of the BlackBerry Smartphone.
  2. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
  3. Once prompted to Retry, Update or Cancel, click Update. If available updates are found Desktop Manager will prompt you to Get Update, Update Later or View other versions
  4. Click Get Update to install the recommended software version or View other Versions to manually select the version you wish to install and click Install.
  5. In the Update Options screen there is the option to enter the email address to be notified in future when there may be new software versions available. 
    1. fill in the checkbox and enter the email address in the text field to receive email notifications
    2. uncheck the checkbox and leave the text field blank to not receive updates.
  6. Reinsert the Battery which was removed in step 1
  7. Click Install Update
    Note:
    there may be a prompt to activate the device wirelessly after the upgrade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Tim1141
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: Blackberry no help at all

Dear John

Thankyou for the self help instructions: tried that but doesn't seem to work: some of us are just not meant to be technical and just want to be able to use the phone in the same way that I use a TV, toaster or even computer; which if they stop working I can take them to an authorised maintenance company. Phones should really be no different but as I have a policy of actually buying my phones and not effectively renting them through the service provider I seem to be disadvantaged.

I am aware that this is not an official support forum but there seemed to be no where else I could turn to air my grievance; hoping that someone might take notice.  help@rim.com just generated an automatic reply giving me nowhere to turn for satisfaction: whatever the web address indicated!

I was never expecting to get service under warranty as the phone is over 12 months old. This I explained to Telstra but despite mobile phones supposedly being mobile and therefore reasonably assumed to be taken from country to country as a mobile user often does, neither Telstra or RIM seems to have a contracted service provider in Australia.

I just want to pay someone to take the phone and fix it; shouldn't be too hard. With the cost of my lost time I could have bought a new phone by now.

Tim

Please use plain text.