Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

avithalani
My Device: torch 9800

Blackberry torch does not get charged with a car adapter?

Blackberry torch 9800 gets charged from laptop and wall mount.

When I tried using thru car adapter it would not work.

I have checked the adapter, it charges the other non blackberry mobile.

My Question, do we need to have a special car adapter for blackberry touch OR

do we need to make some changes in the setup

Please use plain text.
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Blackberry torch does not get charged with a car adapter?

Hi avihalani

We only recommend using a BlackBerry car charger.  You may be able to get one from your provider or you can get one from www.shopblackberry.com.

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
atalukdar
My Device: Torch 9810

Thanks Cpt.  While I realize that you are obligated to give the company line, it does not address the underlying problem.  See my post on this identical matter from yesterday.  The problem ONLY occurs when using a USB car charger.  It never occurs with any other type of charging source regardless of who the source or cable  manufacturer is.  And even with a USB car charger in some cases it does work.

Most importantly, NONE of these problems existed in any blackberry I have ever owned and I this is my fourth.

We smartphone consumers tend to be gadget freaks, and we like the aftermarket.  So when a consumer alerts you about a potential issue with how your devices play in the aftermarket, it is not helpful to tell the consumer "go buy more RIM products."  Rather, pay attention to what they are saying and improve your products to remove the flaw.  Because it IS a flaw.

Regards,

Ashoke Talukdar.

Cpt_Sweatpants wrote:

Hi avihalani

We only recommend using a BlackBerry car charger.  You may be able to get one from your provider or you can get one from www.shopblackberry.com.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
CrypticAzn
My Device: BB Torch 9800 v6.0, Bundle 2647 / BB Desktop Mgr v6.1.0.35 (bundle 34)

[ Edited ]

Could the connection that plugs into your Torch be a little loose, hence the reason why it works for one device but not the other?  I have a USB car charger and it works fine for me, but the USB charger that I use on the PC sucks. I often have to jiggle the Blackberry end of the charger before the BlackBerry Desktop Manager realizes that my phone's connected and/or in need of charging. Could something similar be your issue as well?

~^~ CrypticAzn ~^~
- Pls. click on the LIKE button of this post if I was able to help you in some way. Thanks!
- If I've helped resolve your issue, don't forget to go to the top-right of this post and click on "OPTIONS > ACCEPTED SOLUTION". Thanks!
- See my profile for helpful links!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
atalukdar

That would be unlikely for a couple of reasons:

1. The handset is only 4 days old.

2. It charges flawlessly using the same cables on every other source - AC wall charger, laptop, PC, BB charging cradle, aan also an AC wall charger plugged into a cigarette lighter inverter! It always works in these scenarios.

The only time it fails (and quite consistently) to charge is when the charging source is a car cigarette lighter USB adapter. And it fails whether you use it in a car or with an AC wall cigarette lighter converter.

Please take a look at my other post from last night - I described all the things I tried.

If u still feel it is my handset, I would appreciate a referral to at&t. Minimally, I would like to try a new handset before replacing this one. It takes a long time to get it configured the way I want it.

Thanks,
Ashoke.
Please use plain text.
JRW63

I am having the same problem as atalukdar.  I have a new Torch 9810, and it is the fourth BlackBerry device I've owned and the only one that refuses to charge with any of my three 12V cigarette-plug power supplies.  All my past BlackBerry devices charged just fine with these power supplies.

I'm using the same USB cable supplied with the device in all cases, and the device charges just fine with the wall plug and from my computer.

When connected to a 12V cigarette-plug adapter, the Torch actually pops up a message indicating that the supply I've connected will not charge the device.  The message goes on to say that some USB hubs may not provide enough power.  However, this is not the case as each of these three power supplies provides at least 750 mA, the current provided by the wall plug supplied with the Torch.

RIM, please explain the underlying reason that the Torch will not charge using third-party power supplies.  I really do not want to replace all three of my existing 12V adapters with RIM-branded ones.

Thanks,

--JRW

Please use plain text.
LeoZ69

Have the same problems with my 9810, got my wife's 9800 working of a 1000 mA usb car charger but no luck with my 9810. I'm going to try the 2100 mA charger. we'll see if it works!!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
atalukdar

[ Edited ]

(I don't know how to crosspost (or if this forum supports crossposting).  So I am going to update both threads.  My apologies for the duplication. )

I already tried a 2.1A adapter - no luck.

Next I went to the at&t store and had them contact their BB rep with the issue - haven't heard from them yet.  I also tried two at&t OEM chargers:

1.  One was an at&t dual connector car charger - coiled wire micro USB pin +  regular USB port.  Both connectors work.

2.  The second one was an at&t  regular USB port only (it comes in a combo pack that also contains a separate AC wall charger).  It did not work!

- Ashoke.

Please use plain text.
rw7810
My Device: Torch 9800

I'm having the same problem now, although it used to work on the car charger.  Charges on the 110 adapter and computer usb, but stopped working on the car charger... did this ever get resolved ??

Bob W

Houston

Please use plain text.
StephenJBerger
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9350, Storm 9530, Curve 8530i

I'm having the same issue. We need a USB driver, or for someone to write one for us, directed towards this kind of charger, which is probably giving off some kind of AC electrical current opposed to DC. I'm not an electrician but I've tried downloading the blackberry USB(Universal Serial Bus) download support package, but since I'm on a MacBook, it was opened with Wine, a Windows emulation and compiling program...ugh... so I don't think it worked because I haven't even checked to see if I got USB drivers on that working yet. Anyways. You need a USB driver, most likely a big generic goodies box download for dumb **bleep** like that, which probably hasn't been made yet. One time I saw someone write a driver for an XBOX 360 HD connector to an external HD connector and he made a YouTube video presentation about it. He's a network administrator.

Please use plain text.