Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
racer0572
My Device: Torch 9800

Blackberry won't charge, works when plugged in but keeps restarting itself

My Torch 9800 will not charge but will stay on when it's plugged in. Even so it keeps re-booting itself over and over. I tried a new battery, no luck. I updated the software and deleted all third party apps that I had downloaded and no luck.  charged the new battery with an external charging port and as soon as I put it into the phone and turned it on it showed the red drained battery icon. When I plug it into the charger, the lighting bolt will come on like it's charging and then goes away and the battery icon shoes the outlet symbol that comes up when it is fully charged when connected to the charger. As soon as that happens after the lightning bolt goes away it shuts down and re-boots over and over every few minutes. It all started 3 days ago when I went to use the camera and the phone told me it did not have enough power to use the flash even though it showed a full charge from charging it that morning. I restarted the phone and when it came back on the charging problem started.  Besides the from constantly restarting it is fully functional when plugged in and even when not  although I keep it plugged in as much as I can so it will not completely drain. 

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Blackberry won't charge, works when plugged in but keeps restarting itself

This sound like a hardware issue with the phone itself.  Have you taken it to the store?

My Device: BlackBerry Z10

When you say you tried a new battery, was it a new battery or a different used battery?

There is the chance that you just might have had two damaged batteries (slim chance, but still, the random rebooting can indicate a damaged battery).

Another thing to try is to remove your microSD card (if you have one installed), and even see what happens when you remove your SIM card. It's possible that one or the other may be impacting the device (given that this happened when you were taking pictures, I'd be more likely to consider the microSD card).

Do either of those things help?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
racer0572
My Device: Torch 9800

Thank you Krypto and Wolf359. Yes, I bought a new battery and it came with the docking station. I charged both batteries on it (new and old) and same result. I removed the microSD card and SIM card and still the same thing. I have not taken it to a store yet but will tomorrow. Thank you.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Good luck and keep us posted as to how it goes at the store!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!