Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9800
My Carrier: Vodacom

Bluetooth connection to car kit

I recently upgraded my BlackBerry Torch to the latest OS 6 version 6.0 Bundle 2475. All is fine except for the Bluetooth connection to my Nokia CK-7W car kit. Before I upgraded it connected fine. Now it tries to connect and fails. The only way I can get to connect is to switch the Bluetooth off on my phone and switch it back on again. After doing this it will connect. I have to do this each time before it will connect. Once it is connected it works fine. Can any one help with a solution otherwise I will need to downgrade back to the previous version.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Bluetooth connection to car kit

Try this:

Go to Options and select Bluetooth.  In the Menu (Blackberry Key) Select Options. This should be the Bluetooth Options. 

Uncheck Serial Port Profile. Press Escape.

If you are using a Playbook with the bridge mode the Serial Port Profile should be unchecked anyways.

Highlight the Bluetooth device.  Get back the menu again. Select Device Properties. 

Where you see Trusted, select Yes or Silent.  In Silent the phone will not show when the connection is activated or lost. 

I use Silent.  I found having the indication window up for about 10 seconds to be sort of annoying when I am in a hurry.

I had a similar problem with an older Motorola handsfree in the car. The above procedure fixed it for me.

By-the-way, Blackberry came out with a handsfree for the car. I have not used it myself yet, but I heard it is of excellent quality as like their phones. I am most likely going to get the Blackberry one. 

I recently got the Blackberrry HS-700 earphone. It almost installs itself. It is the best Bluetooth earphone I have tried so-far. I've been through a lot of them. I like the earphone better than the speaker phone handsfree unit.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor

I tried unchecking the Serial Port Profile, but it made no difference. I also tried disabling all the Bluetooth services except for Handsfree and it still made no difference.

Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

Did you set the device properties to Silent or Trusted?  This one is important.  I had to set this along with the other parameters for my Motorola handsfree to work with my Blackberry phone.

While in the Bluetooth area: Highlight the device. Press the Menu Key. Select Device Properties. Selected Trusted.

If this does not work for you, my preference would be to update the handsfree to a new one rather than keep using an older OS in the phone. The newer OS deals with security issues, and issues with the carrier, and othere important aspects. If you keep with an older OS, this will eventually catch up with you anyways and you will be forced to keep the latest version.

Since you have a Blackberry phone, the first choice would be the Blackberry handsfree. I was using a fairly recent Motorla handsfree with my phone that was given to me. Now that I got the HS-700 earphone I stopped using the speaker phone type handsfree.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor

It has been on Trusted all the time.

The reason the I am hesitant to replace the car kit is that it is one that is fully installed into the car and works through the car's sound system with full muting. It is also activated by the ignition so it only activates the Bluetooth connection to the phone when the ignition is turned on, which is a great advantage over the portable car kits which tend to connect before you get into the car. Once one is used to this kind of car kit, it is difficult to change to the portable type. With the built in unit, you get in and out of your car and it takes care of itself completely with out lifting a finger and you never have to recharge it. As far as I have seen BlackBerry only make the portable type and headsets.

I am sure there must be a solution as Bluetooth is a standard type of communication. Even as later versions come out, downward compatibility is normally  maintained.

Forums Advisor III

Now I really see your point!  I would contact the manufacture of the car system and ask them if they have a solution. Maybe they have some type of firmware update. Personally I would not downgrade the phone. This will eventually catch up with you. And, especially when you get your next phone if you still own the car.

Just out of interest, are there any special setups associated with your car system that are specific to certains types of pairing operations, or is all automatic?

My Motorola car kit which is an external one, and not as good as a built in (obviously) as like the one you have, I can make it manually connect or disconnect when I want to use it.

I would guess your built in car Bluetooth system can work totaly voice commanded and has very advanced features. I have a friend who recently bought a new Infinity. The Bluetooth system that came with it is amazing. It can also play stereo music from his Blackberry.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
My Device: Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Having exactly the same problem after upgrade to same bundle with exact same car kit. All worked before. Have tried all the suggestions and no solution. In addition it will no longer pair with my Windows 7 notebook as well, whereas it did before. Have tried removing and re-adding a bunch of times. Clearly must be BB OS related.

Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

This is what I have experienced with the Blackberry phones that I have.

I own a number of recent model Blackberry phones (4). These are Torch and Bold. They all have the latest updated OS installed. I have no issues with any of the Bluetooth devices, internet access, and WiFi access.  I also have a server running on Win7 - 64 bit with dual iNtel i7 processors. With a USB to Bluetooth adaptor this computer can also see and work with the phones via Bluetooth.

I can pair my Torch with my Win7 - 32 bit OS laptop without any problem. I cannot remember the details with Win7, but there are some security issues. I am not even near to the laptop right now to take a look to see if I can see anything with this. Win7 is extremely tricky because of its high degree of security when it comes to networking and working with many external devices that are using MAC address and IP's.

When I did the Win7 pairing, I had the latest version of the Blackberry desktop manager installed. The laptop can see the Torch via Bluetooth using the desktop manager software.

As for doing backups, transfering files, and tethering, I found the Bluetooth a lot slower than using the USB cable.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor

It is interesting to hear that you have the same problem. It certainly points to something to do with the latest OS 6 upgrade bundle. I am still using Windows XP and there is no problem with pairing with the latest OS version.

It would be interesting to hear if my temporary work around works with your phone. Although it is inconvenient, it does mean that the car kit and phone will still work. The work around is to disable Bluetooth on the phone and then enable it again each time before you get into your car (or before the car kit attempts to connect). This will allow a reliable connection and functioning until the next time you get into your car again. If you switch your phone off and then on again it has the same result.

Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

I just thought of something that I have done...

Go to the Options (the icon that looks like a wrench), go in to the Bluetooth setup. Change the security for Discoverable Always. It is normally set to not discoverable. Save the change.

Now see if the issue is resolved.

When the phone is discoverable what will happen, is other phones and devices will be able  to see that your phone is present if the user is making a search for other Bluetooth devices. They cannot pair to the phone, because you would see a request to approve it. With Blackberry devices there is also the transmission of a unique security code and without your approval there is no way they can get in.

Another interesting point is the Device Properties for each Bluetooth device must be set for Trusted or Silent. If it is set to Prompt you will have the problem where for each connection you would have to approve it. I believe you went through this...

I would be very curious to know if this works for you.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.