Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Skittyfish
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Brand new blackberry torch...battery not charging

I just brought home a new Blackberry Torch 9800, put the battery in and plugged it in to charge.  The red light came on and then a battery with an X through it appeared on the screen.  I have taken the battery out and verified that it is in correctly.  It fits VERY tightly.  Any ideas?  Do I just have a bad battery or is it so dead that it just won't start charging?

Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Brand new blackberry torch...battery not charging

Be patient, extra patient.

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage).

I've revived dozens of seemingly dead batteries this way.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Skittyfish
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks, I tried that and still nothing.  I am taking it back this morning.  I am guessing that the battery with an x over it means it isn't charging.  I will be sure to check the next one before I leave the store.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yep, being a brand new device, that is exactly what I would do.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CarysBate
My Device: Torch 9800

Did you find out what was wrong with the battery eventually? Becaue i am having the same problem and as i bought it online i can't take it back and ask for a new battery. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TerryW
My Carrier: O2

When the battery symbol has an X in the centre it means it is connected to the mains (or PC) and is charging

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CarysBate

In my case the X over the battery symbol wasn't charging the phone. As i recieved the phone yesterday i have returned it today as i am not happy with paying for something that doesn't work! It wouldn't even turn on!

Anyone in the same situation i was in i would recommend that you return/exchange the handset as there are loads of different opinions as to why the X appears over the battery symbol and from reading different sites i understand this can happen for a variety of reasons.

Please use plain text.
vickimd01
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Had the same problem - not sure this is a long time fix but worked tonight - bought a new charger, connected & reconnected it (again, don't know if that's important) & finally plugged it into the wall, NOT a surge protector.  For some reason, it worked.  I've tried plugging into numerous surge protectors & none worked if the battery was completely run down.  I love the phone but trying to remember not to let it run completely down is challenging.  I just ordered a new battery too to try to keep another charged. 

Please use plain text.